ch 29

Liam Moonhovan

I was on the verge of going insane, and it hadn't even been an hour. Zach and Zaria helped me put way any glass or valuable things that were downstairs and set up a tent in the backyard with a whole play area. I'd never been more grateful for our large backyard. It was easy to keep all of the children, as well as the parents, away from everything. A couple of them just dropped their children and went, while others had the impression they were also invited.  I wasn't composing because now they had to keep their kids in check. Not to mention Alexis was lost forever in a mob of screaming and laughing children. I hadn't seen her in god knows how long..

When I heard the bell ring, I instantly turned around, going over all the balloons and tried not to run into any of the small children who were running around. Zach was speaking with some of the parents, "working his charm," as he put it. Zar was keeping an eye on all of the kids. The only difference between us was she actually liked the little humans. Lucky for me the one i did like just happened to be my daughter. 

I had quietly hoped it was Enzo, so my disappointment was palpable when I opened the door and saw James' mother standing there.

"Is Alexis here?" James asked sadly looking down. 

"I'll go find her." I muttered as I turned around. When I yelled out to Alexis, she was running around with other kids. But as  soon as she noticed who was there, she came to a halt, her laughing and grin fading. 

"Alexis. I'm sorry for saying all those mean things. It was bad and I'm sorry." I felt sorry for James as he sniffled. Obviously, I had nothing against the boy. He didn't do anything wrong at all. I just didn't invite him since, after all, it wasn't my party. 

"It's ok. Papa told me I had to grow up now, and I forgave you." Alexis smiled and extended her hand to him. "Do you wanna come play?" I'm quite sure all three of us were taken aback by her offer, but I couldn't help but feel proud of myself. James raised his eyes to his mother, who nodded hesitantly. "Come. Everyone from class is here." Alexis said pulling his arm as they run in past me.

 I looked up at James' mom awkwardly as I slowly stepped back to shut the door.

 "Please wait." she called out before I shut the door. 

"Is there something else?" I asked, irritated and no longer attempting to mask it. 

"Thank you for still inviting James to come to the party. He was crushed" she said sheepishly.

 "He didn't do anything wrong. I'm not the type of person who would pass judgment on a child based on their parents' behavior. Especially for someone his age." Of course, I had to take a shot at her, but I was nice about it.  Before leaving, she nodded shamefully and murmured another thank you.

"Alexis is happy, and that is all that matters...Alexis is happy, and that is all that matters." I mumbled to myself over and over again as more and more hours of constant shouting and racing about passed. 

"Holding together alright?" Zaria giggled as she walked into the kitchen.

 "Alexis is happy and that's all that matters" I grinned. 

"That's the spirit. We have one more hour before we cut the cake and send everyone home." She remarked, while setting an empty bowl down and replenishing it with chips.

"Another hour." I groaned and picked up the cups I'd come in for. I was slightly disappointed that Enzo hadn't shown up or even called yet. I never got the chance to ask him what he was up to. 

"Relax I'm sure your boyfriend will be here soon." Zaria grinned and walked out of the room with the bowl before I could retort. I shook my head laughing as I walked out behind her, carrying the cups and soda in my hands. When I placed them on the table, the kids quickly came around for refills.