[+] On Melancholy Hill

"Fireworks? In May?"

"Yeh," 2D replied.

He pulled a wrinkled hoodie over his head. The kitchen atmosphere was overwhelmed with the fragrant scent of lemon cleaner and bleach. Tidying it up had been a labor of Noodle and I over the past few days.

The results of our efforts had not gone unnoticed by the rest of the band. I was frankly dumbstruck that the overall state of cleanliness was mostly maintained. It seemed that everyone had at last gotten into the habit of picking up after themselves, somehow. 

Obviously, 2D's own room looked as if a train had smashed through it. That was simply another facet of his that had grown on me.

"I fought we could go."

I nodded.

"Yeah. I want to go. It just seems sort of odd, though, right? Fireworks when there isn't a holiday?"

"Dunno. I don't fink so. My dad's always been sorta keen on fings 'at explode."

I swallowed. The statement was a little unnerving, considering that Mr. Pot was responsible for a handful of rather large pieces of industrial equipment that could scar someone for life if handled improperly.

"Fink Murdoc'll let me borrow the car?"

"No," I laughed, "I don't."

2D huffed, disappointed. He put on his shoes and beckoned me to the doorway.

"S'pose we hafta take the tram, then."

"That's alright. It's fun. I like it."

"Yew fink? Et's sort ov... Ah, well. If yew like et, luv, we'll take the tram."

The trip to the fairground was nearly as enjoyable as everything else that we'd done when we went there before. I was truly looking forward to it. I was wholly undeterred by the strange array of passengers and the unsavory smells seeping from the vents.

lt didn't have so much to do with the journey as it did with listening to 2D as he told me stories the whole way. I hoped that he'd indulge me again.

After a brief walk, we arrived at Victoria Station. It was as elegant and thriving as ever. The far spanning corridors were thrumming with the movements of people from all walks of life, headed all different places. I momentarily thought of taking another train to a faraway destination. I imagined where we might go, if given the opportunity.

I was drawn out from my daydreaming when the doors of the car howled shut. Due to limited seating, 2D and I were forced to stand up in the middle of the walkway without so much as a pole to grasp onto to stabilize ourselves against the rattling of the cab. l felt unsteady on my feet.

2D moved his hands to my waist. He whispered to me. His breath felt warm on my neck.

"Don't worry. I got yew."

"O - Okay."

A brief silence passed between us. We were undisturbed by the ongoing murmurs of conversation from the other passengers.

"Did I eva tell yew I went to law school?"

"No, never. Did you really?"

"Yeh," I could practically hear his smile, "I did. Got my GDL, even."

"Why didn't you finish?"

"Uh, I fink yew could probably blame et on Murdoc, if yew wanted. I was in the middle ov fings when 'e snatched me up 'n hauled me off to Plastic Beach. I didn't botha wifth tryin' to escape til yew came 'round, though."