Chapter 6

It had been just about two weeks since Akemi had joined Saiki's class, yet he still has no idea why he couldn't hear her thoughts. And out of everyone in her class, she had been the one he wanted to hear the thoughts of the most. At least once, sometimes twice, every day, she would disappear into the girl's bathroom for five minutes and come back with no emotion on her face. And the way she had acted during their little ramen outing had only caused Saiki to be more curious. Saiki found the whole situation with Akemi frustrating and no matter how much he wanted to ignore it, he could deny that he wanted to know what was happening with her.

But he had to put his curiosity of Akemi aside when something else came up. The school trip.

Every year there was one event that got the entire class more excited than any other event that would happen that year. That even was the school trip. This year, they would be going to Okinawa. Personally, Saiki didn't see the appeal, as he could just teleport there and come back in just a few minutes. The only one who seemed to share his disinterest in the trip was Akemi, and he wasn't sure that was even true. She had been off in her own world ever since the trip had been announced. And since Saiki couldn't read her mind, he wasn't sure if that was because she didn't want to go on the trip or something else.

Saiki had found himself in a group with Kaido and Nendo. They still had to decide on which girls group they would be grouping up with. Teruhashi had already tried to join his group and he knew she wasn't going to give up after one try. Though, if Teruhashi did manage to join Saiki's group, there would be a silver lining. Teruhashi had somehow gotten Akemi to join her group, they had been the only group with four people, so it wouldn't be terrible for Saiki. It would give him a better chance to figure out why he can't read her mind.

"We're going to decide the boy and girl matchups by lottery," Hairo said, pulling Saiki out of his thoughts. Because everyone had wanted to group up with Teruhashi, Hairo had decided to change how the groups would be paired. "Teruhashi, you can go first."

This sucks, I have to depend on blind luck. Saiki heard Teruhashi think as she walked up to the front of the room. But it will work out! God is looking out for me. A one in six chance tipped in my favorite isn't too much to ask. Please let me pick Saiki.

Teruhashi reached into the box and Saiki saw through the box that she was about to pick his name. But Saiki changed the paper with his physic power. It's crazy how she's able to get whatever she wants. Unfortunately, I'll give up my chance to figure out more about Kumiko if it means I can stay away from you and Yumehara.

"Teruhashi's group will join Takahashi's group," Hairo announced. Instantly, the mood in the room shifted and all the boys' groups just Takahashi's became gloomy. Hairo continued and when the next group drew, Teruhashi switched with them and ended up pairing with Saiki's group.

Saiki let out a sigh before glancing over at where Akemi was sitting. She was staring out the window and paying no mind to what was happening. For the millionth time since meeting Akemi, he wished he could read her mind.

While trying to figure out more about why Akemi was immune to his mind-reading, Saiki had also found that his x-ray vision and clairvoyance didn't work on her either. He had a feeling there may have been a few more of his powers that wouldn't work on her either. This had confirmed one thing, that the reason he couldn't read her mind wasn't the same reason he couldn't read bugs or Nendo's minds. There was something else that was preventing him from using powers on her. With bugs and Nendo, he just couldn't read their minds, but that never stopped him from using any of his other powers. Luckily, he was still able to talk to her using telepathy, but for all he knew, that was it.

And that had frustrated Saiki.

* * *

Akemi stared out the airport window, disappointment setting in her just like it had for the rest of her classmates. They had made it to the airport only to find out there was a typhoon that was delaying their flight, and would possibly cancel it.

Akemi had been mixed feelings about the trip. While she was excited to go to Okinawa, she also knew it would bring back memories that would possibly make this trip miserable. She didn't know if she'd be able to get away from the group if memories came back.

Still, that hadn't stopped her from being excited, especially after the pep talk her dad had given her. She wanted to have a good time. Thought, this typhoon was not doing a good job of putting her in a good mood.

"Hey, the typhoon just disappeared!" One of her classmates exclaimed, gaining her attention.

"The flight's back on!" Another cheered.

Akemi stared at the weather radar seeing they were right, the typhoon had just disappeared. She stood up as cheers rang in the airport, curiosity filling her. What could cause a typhoon to just disappear?

"Uh, Saiki, you're soaked," Kaido said, earning Akemi's attention.

She stared at Saiki, and he was indeed soaked. How did he even manage to do that to himself? It's not raining here, there's no way he could've just... Akemi looked up at the weather radar then back at Saiki, only to find him staring at her. Almost like he knew she could tell something wasn't right.

But it was just a coincidence... Right?

Akemi lightly shook her head to clear her mind of the ridiculous idea. Saiki had nothing to do with the typhoon. It wasn't possible.

Walking onto the plane, Akemi slipped into a row of her own at the back. She pulled out her phone and earbuds and started playing quiet music before leaning against the window and slowly drifting off to sleep.