Chapter 22

The first thing Akemi did once she got away from Saiki was find Teruhashi. Out of the four that had been at Saiki's house with her, she was the one that was easiest for Akemi to talk to.

"Yeah, Teruhashi," Akemi greeted, walking up to where Teruhashi was talking to Yumehara. "Can I talk to you for a sec?"

"Oh, sure," Teruhashi stood up and told Yumehara she'd be back before stepping to the side with Akemi. "What's up?"

"It's actually about what happened during New Year's." Akemi started.

Teruhashi blinked, "Ok?"

"It was something Saiki's mom said. Didn't you find it weird?" Akemi asked.

Teruhashi hummed, "A little, but it makes sense. It explains why he doesn't act like he's interested in me."

Akemi stared at her, "What?"

"Ah! No, I mean, it explains why he doesn't really talk to anyone. You know?" Teruhashi quickly explained with a nervous laugh. "He must've had some girl break his heart and now he has a hard time trusting people."

Akemi took in a sharp breath. That doesn't really make sense. Why would someone break up with him after finding out he's a psychic? And why is she acting like it's not a big deal?

"Yeah, that makes sense," Akemi said unsurely. "Anyways, I have to go."

"Oh, ok, bye," Teruhashi gave Akemi a wave before she went back to Yumehara and Akemi started slowly walking down the hall.

It almost seemed like Teruhashi was talking about the wrong thing. Akemi thought as she walked down the hall. Just then, she bumped into someone. When she looked up, she almost smiled, "Sorry about that Hairo."

"Oh, it's ok. Just make sure to look where you're going next time." Hairo said.

"Right. I will." Akemi replied. Hairo made his way to walk away, but Akemi stopped him. "Hey, before you go, can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Didn't you find what Saiki's mom said about him weird?" Akemi questioned, making sure to keep the question vague. She needed to know what he heard Saiki's mom say to prove her suspicion.

"About how he has trouble making friends because he used to be the captain of the tennis club, but he was so obsessed with winning that the other members kicked him out for it?" Hairo questioned.

Akemi stared at him and took a minute to process what Hairo had just said. "Yeah... You know what? Nevermind. I gotta go."

"Oh, ok. See you later, Kumiko." Hairo said with a smile before he walked away.

Akemi let out a sigh before she made her way down the hall and out of the school. She walked down the street to Ren's flower shop.

"Hey Akemi," Ren greeted with his usual bright smile.

Akemi pulled around a stool and sat down on it before laying her head down on the counter, "Hi."

"Are you ok?" Ren asked. 

"No," Akemi muttered with a long sigh.

"What's going on?"

"I'd sound crazy if I told you."

Ren hummed, "Now I definitely want to know."

"Fine," Akemi said with a huff. "There's this guy in my class. I think I've told you about him."

"Saiki?"

Akemi nodded, "Yeah. Well, I might've figured out why he's so... off. But it's crazy. It's absolute insanity. But it makes sense. It's... weird."