Chapter 15

"The big PK festival is just one month away. Let's hear some ideas!" Hario exclaimed as he stood at the front of the class, a PK school festival poster on the chalkboard behind him.

Everyone immediately started bringing up how they had other things to do during the festival and couldn't participate. Then someone suggested, "How about we put up a display? That way, we're free during the festival."

"That's a good idea," Hario agreed. "We can work hard on it every day after school."

Then people started to throw out ideas. First, it was weird rocks, then paper cranes, then a maid cafe, then a planetarium, then a haunted house. Akemi sighed as the class started to argue about which idea they should choose. Then something came to her mind.

"What if we set up a garden?" Akemi suggested, causing the whole room to go silent and stare at her. She shifted uncomfortably, but elaborated on the idea, "It shouldn't be that hard to set up, and I could take care of the plants until the festival."

"And it would require some actual work. That's not a bad idea." Hario said, writing it down on the chalkboard next to the paper crane idea.

"But where would we get the flowers?" Someone questioned.

"I have a friend who works at a flower shop. We could get them from there." Akemi offered.

Murmurs filled the room as they all thought over the idea. Akemi had already started to regret it as they all talked about it for a minute. They'll probably just pass it off as a bad idea and then move on. Then it won't matter.

"I really like that idea," Teruhashi spoke up. Akemi paled and knew it was all over at that point. Hario was on board with the idea and now Teruhashi had said she liked it.

And just like Akemi predicted, they had all agreed on her idea.

"So, what do you think we'll need, Kumiko?" Hario asked, earning a small sigh from Akemi.

"Do any of you have any experience with planting flowers?" Akemi asked first. The room went dead silent and Akemi let out another sigh. "Ok, well, it should be pretty simple. We really just need the flowers. Unless we want to actually plant them in something other than the pots they already come in."

"We want to do more than just buy flowers," Hario stated.

Akemi nodded, "So then we'll need a big planter and we can put the flowers in there."

"Does you're friend sell those too?" Hario questioned.

Akemi shook her head, "No. But you can probably find good ones at a home improvement store."

"Alright then, it's settled. In a few days, we'll split into two groups, one to get flowers and the other to get a big planter." Hario said, "We're gonna have the best display at this festival!"

The class cheered and Akemi leaned back in her chair.

I made a huge mistake.

* * *

"Akemi, I wasn't... Woah, who are all these people?"

A few days had passed and now Akemi was walking into Ren's flower shop with a group of four people trailing behind her. She had already instructed the majority of the group to stay outside since the shop was so small.

"We're going to have a garden on display for our school festival," Akemi answered with a sigh as the people that had come into the shop with her started looking around at the flowers.

"Oh, ok."

"We should get these ones, their really pretty," a girl said, pointing to some purple chrysanthemums.