Chapter 8

The next day, Akemi had been extremely out of it. She couldn't stop thinking about what had happened the night before. She had found out that what had happened hadn't been a dream, since the other girls had teased Teruhashi about how she had acted weird the night before. Though, all of them still thought it was Teruhashi; Akemi was the only one who had seen Toritsuka.

Akemi started at the beach with a towel wrapped around her shoulders. She was sitting underneath an umbrella, her mind still on what had happened last night.

"Hey, Kumiko, are you ok? You seemed really out of it." Akemi looked up and saw Teruhashi standing near her.

Akemi just hummed in response and stared back out at the ocean. Teruhashi seemed like she wanted to say more, but she was pulled away by some of their classmates. And that's when Akemi noticed Saiki staring at her.

He was sitting just a few steps away and seemed to have something on his mind, yet was just staring at Akemi. She shot him a glare.

"If you want to say something to me, you can just say it. You can stop staring. It's weird."

* * *

Saiki stared at Akemi a little surprised she had addressed him. Akemi rarely said anything to anyone, especially Saiki. All she did was glare at him whenever he stared at her. Though Saiki couldn't blame her for that, he would probably have the same reaction if someone kept staring at him.

Something had seemed more off with Akemi than normal. Of course, Saiki didn't know what that was, but he had a suspicion. When he had gone to save Teruhashi the night before, he had used his hypnosis to make Toritsuka look like Teruhashi, he didn't think Akemi would be with the girls that had gone looking for Teruhashi. But he had found out that he had been wrong and was sure Akemi had been confused as to why everyone had been acting like Toritsuka was Teruhashi.

"Did you not hear me?" Akemi snapped, breaking Saiki out of his thoughts.

Good grief, she is going to cause so many problems.

"Yes, I did. I just don't have anything to say." Saiki said.

"Then quit staring," Akemi growled, before turning away and looking back at the ocean. She hugged her knees and had an uneasy expression on her face. Saiki immediately realized that, by Akemi not seeing Toritsuka as Teruhashi, it had both traumatized her and made her extremely confused. And maybe a little suspicious.

Akemi had clearly picked up on both times Saiki had disappeared yesterday before they got to Okinawa. She probably thought those disappearances were just strange coincidences, but Saiki knew she would be on high alert for any weird activity coming from Saiki. He had to figure out a way to make sure no more strange things happen around him so Akemi really believes everything was a coincidence. And now, he also had to make sure not to let the incident with Toritsuka get associated with him in Akemi's mind. Just staying as far away from Toritsuka would probably prevent Akemi from associating the incident with him.

"Actually, I do have something to ask you," Saiki said, gaining Akemi's attention. A plan had formed in his mind. He stood up and sat back down next to Akemi, "What's up with you?"

"What?"

"You look really distant."

Akemi look up at Saiki and he almost felt as though she was looking into his soul. Then she looked back at the ocean and took a deep breath, "It's just that something really weird happened yesterday."

Saiki shifted a bit, his plan out starting fine, "What happened?"

"Why do you care?" Akemi questioned, her tone had made it sound like a genuine question, but her glare made Saiki wonder how it was really supposed to sound. Saiki shrugged and after a minute, Akemi let out a long sigh, "It's just something I saw didn't add up. Two things actually. Or, no, three."