Chapter 18

Akemi stared out the train window as buildings and road signs flew past. It was the week of Christmas and Akemi and her dad were on their way to their old town. They were going to meet up with Akemi's grandparents and stay at their house for the week before coming home.

It had been a week since Akemi had told Ren nearly everything. She had told him everything about her mom and how she felt. The entire time, Ren listened. Akemi had surprisingly felt better after talking to him, just like Ren thought she would. She had never truly been able to talk to her dad since she was always scared of hurting him, but it wasn't like that with Ren. And that had made everything easier.

Akemi had found herself in a much better mood since then. She had actually found herself looking forward to their Christmas trip. Though, that was only because she wanted to see her grandparents again. It had been a long time since she had even talked to them and before Akemi's mother died, she looked hanging around them.

Letting out a long sigh, Akemi leaned away from the window and back into her seat. Her dad was sitting next to her looking like he was off in his own world. He had been acting really distant and zoned out since the day started. Like it was finally dawning on him that we were going to visit his wife's grave.

The entire train ride was quiet, but when the train stopped and they stepped off to be greeted by Akemi's grandparents, life was brought back to her and her dad.

"Hello Akemi, it is so good to see you again, Dear," Akemi's grandmother, Kanako, greeted with her bright, grandmother smile.

"It's good to see you too, Grandma," Akemi said as Kanako pulled her into a hug.

"You two have been doing well in the city?" Akemi's grandfather, Kenji, asked as Kanako started talking to Taiyo.

"We've been fine," Akemi answered. "And it's just as much of 'the city' as here is."

"Oh sure, you're just saying that because you don't want to admit that you moved from our rural town to the big city."

Akemi shook her head, "Uh-huh. Whatever you say."

Kenji laughed, "It's good to have you back. It's been way too long since we've seen you."

"Yeah..."

"Well, let's head to the car," Kanako spoke up, getting Akemi and Kenji's attention.

Akemi followed her grandparents and Taiyo to the car. The ride was generally quiet, with her grandparents having small talk with her dad. The entire time, they were avoiding the real reason the two of them came.

"We're here," Kanji announced as the car pulled to a stop. Akemi glanced up at the house and a comforting sense of familiarity washed over her. Being at her grandparents' house brought back happy memories.

They all got off out of the car and walked into the house.

"One of you can stay in the guest room upstairs and the other can stay downstairs," Kanako said. "Though, it's a little dusty down there."

"I'll take the basement," Akemi told them before taking her bag small duffel bag into the basement. She set her stuff down my the couch that was down there and sat down.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. I can do this.

* * *

"If you plan on heading to Hanaka's grave, you should stop at Tenshi's flower shop. He'd love to see Akemi again." Kanako said. They were sitting at the dinner table eating. A day had passed since Akemi and her dad had arrived at her grandparents' house and it was Christmas Eve.

Akemi tensed. Her grandma had said that so calmly. Like it didn't bother her. And it seemed Taiyo was confused by the same thing.

"Have... Have you guys..." Taiyo trailed off, unable to finish his sentence.

Kanako gave him an understanding smile, "We miss Hanaka every day, just as you do. But when you get to a certain age, you learn how to accept things faster than you did before."

"We're old," Kenji stated. "We don't have time to waste on regrets or denial."

Akemi frowned and took a bite of food. Silence filled the room before she spoke up, "It hasn't even been a full year..."

"I know, Honey," Kanako said, her voice gentle. "You can take all the time you need to accept things. It's ok if you need a year or two or more. Losing someone so close to you is hard."

"She was close to you too," Akemi muttered, poking her food with her chopsticks. "How can you just accept it?"

"As Kenji said, we're old. It's different for us. I've lost many people over the years. It's unfortunate, but eventually, you learn how to deal with it." Kanako explained. "I learned that the best way to deal with losing someone is to allow sadness to take over for a little and then remember all the good things. If you get hung up on 'what if's you'll never be able to live happily. And that's what your mother would've wanted. For you, for all of us, to live happily."

Akemi didn't reply. She took in her grandmother's words. Just as she remembered, her grandma had the best advice. She remembered Kanako telling her something similar when her and her dad left the town.

"We're... gonna go... tonight," Taiyo said hesitantly. Akemi looked at her dad as he stared at the table, a distant look in his eye.

Kanako smiled at him, "I'll give you money for the flowers. It'll be part of my Christmas gift."

"Ok..."

Kenji then changed the subject to something more light-hearted. Akemi was silent the whole time as she watched her dad's mood shift and her grandparents' cheerful attitudes. Something about it felt wrong. Like they shouldn't be this happy without Hanaka. But at the same time, Akemi knew this was what her mom wanted. And that thought made her feel better.

Once they finished eating, Akemi helped her grandma with the clean-up before her and Taiyo left the house.