Chapter 23

That night, Akemi had actually taken Ren's advice and gotten more sleep than she had in a while. When she woke up, she had gone to school to be completely avoided by Saiki. Akemi went through the day slightly annoyed that Saiki was running away, but it made her a little more confident. Saiki was avoiding her confrontation, and that all but confirmed things even more for her. Though, when she came to school the next day, Saiki managed to get away from her again. And it was like that for the rest of the week.

"Do you think he's really avoiding you or has something else to do?" Ren asked as Akemi sat down. It was the end of the week and she had immediately gone to Ren after school like she had almost every day that week.

"No, he's definitely avoiding me," Akemi said with a sigh.

Ren hummed, "What are you gonna do?"

Akemi shrugged, "I don't know. Maybe I'll go to his house."

"Akemi, I don't think that's a good idea," Ren said with a serious tone.

"I know where he lives," Akemi muttered.

Ren let out an annoyed sigh, "Akemi, really?"

"Yeah, why not? His parents seemed to like me." Akemi said, propping her head up on her arms.

Ren shook his head, "Akemi, maybe you need a break from worrying about this."

"I just want a clear answer," Akemi said with a huff. Then she stood up. "Wish me luck."

"Wait, you're not actually going to his house, are you?" Ren questioned.

"Yes, I'm going to and you can't stop me," Akemi said. Before Ren had a chance to argue with her, she slipped out of the shop and started walking home.

When she got home, she changed out of her uniform, said hi to her dad, then left and made her way to Saiki's house. She remembered the short walk from New Year's and quickly made her way to the house. When she got there, Akemi took a deep breath before she walked up to the door and rang the doorbell. She shifted uncomfortably and suddenly regretted her slightly impulsive decision to come to the house.

Then, the door opened to reveal Saiki's mom, "Oh, hi, you're Kumiko, right?"

"Yes," Akemi replied with a polite smile.

"It's nice to see you. What do you need?" Mrs. Saiki asked

"Is Sai- uh, Kusuo here?" Akemi questioned, earning a nod from Mrs. Saiki. "Can I talk to him? It's for... a school thing."

Saiki's mom smiled brightly, a look on her face that made Akemi's face heat up a little. "Yes, come in."

"Thank you," Akemi said, stepping inside the house.

She took her shoes off and Mrs. Saiki told her, "Kusuo is upstairs in his room. It's the first door on the left."

"Thank you," Akemi repeated before heading up the stairs and over to the door Saiki's mom had told her to go to. Akemi took a deep breath before knocking on the door.

After a second, the door opened and Saiki was standing in front of her with a slightly surprised look on his face. But it disappeared instantly and was replaced with a frown, "What are you doing here?"

"You were avoiding me and I had to talk to you," Akemi said.

Saiki sighed and stepped inside his room. Akemi took in a breath before she followed him inside. Akemi glanced around the room as Saiki sat down at his desk. "What do you need to talk about?"

"Do you really need to ask that?" Akemi questioned, sitting down on the bed. Saiki sighed again and Akemi continued, "I talked to Teruhashi and Hairo a few days ago."