Crevasse - 5

Crevasse was VERY UNHAPPY about visiting the Floating City.

Not about visiting and being in the city. It had been her dream since she was a tiny dragonet to visit the grand city, that was built on the ocean and sat on top of the waves with mighty talons. She and her father, Grosbeak, had saved enough scales to take the trip and rent hotel rooms and do thing in the city.

It just happened to be the same week they were going as all her friends back in the kingdom were going to a huge party in the grand ballroom of the IceWing palace. She and her friends were among the fifty students in the ENTIRE KINGDOM to go. Crevasse had begged and begged Grosbeak to do a different week, but he told her that he already made reservations and he wanted to get to the famous shops that had huge sales after the Open Wings Festival. She agreed, only to the idea that her family had followed the ancient IceWing code used before Queen Snowfall's time. She would get in trouble if she didn't respect and followed her father's word, more trouble than a dragonet her age would usually get.

So, Crevasse tried not to think how her friends were very hyper and about to probably have the time of their lives while she had been flying for a day straight, only taking short rests on random islands.

"We should get there in about three hours." Grosbeak said, slicing a fish he had caught down the belly.

"Three hours?" Crevasse groane in distress. "But it's SO HOT."

Her father had the grace to feel bad. He was kind, but a strict follower of their religion of IceWIng Code and such. "You were flying fine last night," he commented.

"Cause it was night," Crevasse said, wading into the ocean. "It was a lot cooler." Crevasse stared out back towards Pyrrhia and everything she grew up with.

Could be worse. We could have ended up going to Pantala.

Crevasse swished her talons at the tiny schools of fish in the shallows. I wonder what the dragons are like there. Probably full of loving mushballs of forgiveness.

Crevasse's favorite subject was history. There was so much of it, she snuck into the Dome of History that was in the IceWing Kingdom. It had protected documents that were at most six thousand years old- dating back about eight hundred years before the Scorching, which was mesmerizing to Crevasse.

Each kingdom, not including the Floating City, had a "dome". The domes contained all of the top discoveries for all of dragon-kind. The SkyWings had Mathematics, the SeaWings had Literature, the NightWings had Science, the RainWings had Biology, the MudWings had Psychology, the SandWings had Astrology, and the IceWings had History.

Crevasse like how the Kingdoms were before the "stealth team" came crashing back. The Kingdoms remained in their own and were independent. There was a wonderful moment of history when the tribes weren't as mingled and the IceWing code had been destroyed by Queen Snowfall.

She sighed and looked back at Grosbeak, who was munching on his fish.

There was a flash of white above his head, a little far away.

IceWings?

"Father," she called, striding over to him. "IceWings, I think, coming this way." He turned around, as the front dragon archer their wings. The team glittered and radiated authority.

"Tell me if I'm wrong," Father said to his daughter, without taking his eyes away from the dragons. "But I think that's Queen Caribou."

Crevasse squinted as she saw the delicate crown perched on her head. "It is! Quick- bow, Father," Crevasse hastily threw herself into a bow, spreading her wings slightly. Her father followed a moment later.