Chapter 14: Hinata

"Taeko- senpai?"
The smaller middle blocker noticed the manager standing in the distance.

"Oh, Hinata-kun," Taiji smiled, "Congrats on beating Shiratorizawa, I didn't get to talk to you that day"

Just then, Hinata's stomach rumbled loudly, startling both of them.

"Sorry," Hinata was embarrassed.

"It's fine, Taiji smiled before rummaging through her bag, "I have a pack of milk bread if you want? I usually have a few in case Cra- I mean Poopykawa gets hungry."

Hinata thankfully accepted the bread from the female manager,
his face was flushed while he quietly munched on it, "Kageyama-kun told me he saw you that day."

"He also said that Oikawa was being extra protective of you,"

"Yeah, that sounds about right," Taiji laughed again, "But I'm kinda inspired by you."

Hinata perked up again, "You are?"

"Yeah, I mean, Me and the boys have been tryna push Shiratorizawa off their thone for years now, you guys actually did it,"

"Oh, but weren't you a captain in middle school?"
"Ah, I was, but I couldn't after I started high school."

Her lips may have been smiling, but her eyes betrayed her.
Hinata could see the bitterness behind her mask of smiles.

"Did something happen to you?" Hinata piped up, his voice cautious, as if he was treading lightly, "Was it the reason you quit volleyball?"

Taiji could feel a heavy feeling in her chest, it had been so long since she had opened up about that incident.

The female manager took a deep breath, "When I was a first-year, I used to be a spiker on the girls' team, our coach had seen my potential and wanted to make me a starter. I was really proud of it."

"Wasn't that a good thing?" The tiny first-year piped up again,

"It was, however, the coach had to put our captain on the bench, and she wasn't happy about it."

Hinata's eyes widened, he knew where this was going.

"One day she couldn't control her anger anymore and-" Taiji took a deep breath, "-we got into a fight that resulted in her pushing me down the school stairs."

Taiji's expression was pained, reliving those old memories.
"My back was injured and I was benched, the old captain was also suspended from the team,"

"But you recovered, right?" Hinata's eyes widened, "Why didn't you go back?"

"I never fully recovered," Taiji threw her head back a little, "It still hurts a lot when I jump, so I ended up quitting the team."

"Does Kageyama know?"

"He does," Taiji lifted her head a little, "He's been quite wary of my back ever since,"

"Oh, so that's why he always has a hand on your back!" Hinata exclaimed, "We thought you were dating him!"

Taiji laughed at Karasuno's misconception, "I don't see Kageyama that way,"

"But still, weren't you angry at your old captain?"

Hinata stared at the senpai standing right next to him, someone who had so much under the surface.

"No, I wasn't," She smiled, "I understood her frustration, of being replaced by a kouhai,"

'Someone I knew who felt like that too.' 

"I remember feeling like it was the end of the world when the doctors told me I would probably never play volleyball again," Taiji laughed, "If Tooru wasn't there, I probably wouldn't even be here right now,"

Hinata gave Taiji a mischievous grin.

"Hajime and the other boys were there too! Don't get me wrong," Taiji raised her hand awkwardly, "Just, Tooru was the one holding my hand every step of the way, assuring me that I would be okay."

Taiji smiled to herself, "He may act like a child, but deep down he's a wonderful person,"

"Taiji-senpai," Hinata held a smug grin, "Do you like Oikawa-san?"

"NoIdon'twhywouldyousaythat-"
She was blushing furiously.

"I guess there's no point hiding it, is there?" she sighed.

Taeko Taiji had feelings for him.
She had been for quite some time

"But there's no way that Tooru feels that way about me," Taiji chuckled, "So there's no point telling him about my feelings."

Hinata raised an eyebrow, "Why wouldn't he?"

"Well, he has all these fangirls that fawn over him," The manager fiddled with her fingers, "Why would he ever choose me over all those cute girls?"

"But you're so cool?" Hinata jumped from his spot, "Plus, he always has this look in his eyes when he stares at you!"

"I'm sure that still doesn't mean that he likes me, Shoyo,"
"But-"

Looking at the watch on her wrist, Taiji stood from her seat, "Well, it's getting late, you have to travel quite far to get home right?"

"Oh, yeah," Hinata smiled, "How'd you know?"

"Tobio told me," She laughed, "I'll see you soon, Shoyo."

A small gust of wind passed them by, ruffling both of their hairs ever so slightly,
"See you later, Senpai!"