Chapter 8: Backbone

The impact of Ushijima's spike was strong. 
Blowing away Seijoh's blockers, the ball landed in their court.
The first set was Shiratorizawa's.

"It's fine," Taiji comforted as she handed out water bottles, "We'll take the next set,"

"All of our defenses and strategies were beat by mere brute force," Oikawa's grip on his bottle tightened, "It's impossible."

The team was quiet, it wasn't often that Oikawa was down.

"Is that a reason to give up?"

The team turned to the person who said those words.
Taeko Taiji.

Her words seemed to swat away all of their gloominess.

"So, Miss manager," Iwaizumi folded his arms with a grin on his face, "What do you propose that we do?"

"We evolve."

Oikawa's mind wondered as they regrouped. Taiji's infamous line had always been, 'Is that a reason to give up?'

Even when they were in elementary school, Taiji had always been the one holding him up and his feet gave way. His dream may have been the driving force, but she was the one who kept his feet on the ground when the storm was going to blow him away.

She kept him going when he failed to do a perfect serve.
She was there when they were on the edge of breaking.
She comforted him when the world was crumbling beneath his feet.

She was his backbone.

~~~

The whistle blew, Shiratorizawa had won.

The team was exhausted.

"You did your best," Taiji comforted the first-years, "We'll do even better in the next matches."

Her juniors were the easier ones to console, the real issue was the third years.

Walking out of the gym, Taiji was fumbling back and forth in her mind, thinking of ways to cheer her friends up.

"Tai-chan," Oikawa was the first to speak up.

Taiji immediately snapped out of her thoughts, "Yes?"

All four of the third years turned to look at her. Taiji wasn't used to them being serious.

"What's wrong ?" Taiji gave them her usual smile, "You guys are acting weird."

They were all smiling, but there was a side of something else that she couldn't recognize.

"You know," Oikawa continued, "I don't think we've ever properly thanked you."

The female manager took a step back as all 4 of her friends hugged her.

"Why are you guys acting like I'm leaving you?" Taiji let out a quiet laugh.

~~~

School had continued as usual the day after, practice had been put on a break.

"Taiji-senpai," One of the younger managers, "Sensei was looking for you."

Hearing those words was enough to make Taiji's stomach drop. The boys' actions suddenly made sense.

The walk to the office was dreadful. The faces of the people around her seemed to blur out.

Knocking on the door, Taiji was hoping that he wouldn't answer.

"Come in,"

"You wanted to see me, sensei?"

The coach's face was blurred, the green-eyed girl could barely make out his features.

"Yes, have a seat," 

Taiji's fingers morphed into a fist, she knew what he was going to say.

"I wanted to talk to you about leaving the team."

Taiji had highly suspected that the boys had heard the coaches talking about her after their sudden emotional session, and she had been dreading it.

"We would like you to focus on your studies," The coach continued, "We know that you are extremely close to the other third-years, but you should think about your future."

Taiji's gaze was lowered, "I understand, sir."

"However," The coach added, "The choice is still completely up to you."

Her eyes darted back to the coach, the world came back to focus.

"You have played a big part in the team, it would be a shame if you didn't graduate with the rest."

Taiji's lips curled back into her usual lopsided grin, "Then with all due respect, coach,"

"I would like to stay."

~~~

Opening the door after her talk with the coach, Taiji was pleasantly surprised with the sight of the third-years scrambling around the corridor.

Iwaizumi had his arms tucked behind his head, Oikawa was awkwardly ducking behind him. Hanamaki was lying on the floor in an odd pose while Matsukawa was holding a potted plant to his face.

"Hello," Taiji greeted jokingly, "What a surprise seeing you guys here,"

"Yes, a total coincidence," Matsukawa put the plant down, "We definitely weren't listening to your meeting with the coach."

Taiji helped Hanamaki off the floor, "Right, you were all just awkwardly posing outside the door, nothing unusual."

"Yeah, totally," Oikawa added, "Just another day."

Taiji folded her arms as the boys stood in a row, the silence was thick.

"We didn't want to force you to stay with us," Iwaizumi quietly admitted, "But we also didn't want to hold you back if you wanted to leave."

"So whatever you chose, we'll respect it!" Oikawa blurted out.

Taiji's grin was still the same.

"Are you guys kidding me?" she hugged all of them, "I've poured so much into this club, it would be a waste not to see it through."

The boys were silent for a moment, but soon they joined into the hug.

"You really scared us, Tai-chan." Oikawa sniffled, "We really thought you were going to quit."

"You know me better than that."

"Yeah, we do."

~~~

The walk home was quieter than usual. 

Maybe it was because of the scare that Taiji was going to leave them, or maybe because of the match that they had lost the day before.

"Taiji," Oikawa piped up, "Why didn't you quit the team?"

"Oi Shittykawa," Iwaizumi scolded him, "I thought we agreed not to ask her!"

The two broke out into a small bicker, just like they usually do.

"Hey, it's fine," Taiji laughed, "I don't mind."

The two stopped their banter and looked at Taiji, the warm wind billowed their hair, indicating that spring and summer were slowly merging.

"Well to be honest," Taiji scratched her neck, "We wouldn't be able to walk home together if I quit."

The two volleyball players stared at her with flustered faces, and for many good reasons.
They understood what she meant.

It was their last year in high school, and they were all going to take different roads after graduation.
They all knew that.

This was going to be the last year that they could walk home together.

"Besides," Taiji added, "What would you boys do without me?" 

Oikawa was in awe with Taiji.
Even he wasn't thinking so far ahead, but Taiji?
She already had it all planned out.

It terrified them.
The future scared them.

But it seemed a lot less terrifying with one another.