Chapter 6: Karasuno pt2

As Taiji went to pick up her pass for the court, she ran into someone unexpected.

The manager of the team they were facing today, Kiyoko Shimizu.

"Oh," Taiji tilted her head as she stood next to her, "You're Karasuno's manager, right?"

"Yeah, We've met briefly before." She replied with a smile, "You're Kageyama-kun's senpai."

After the short exchange, Kiyoko was about to leave, but Taiji stopped her.

"Are you busy right now?" She warmly smiled, "I don't usually get to talk to other managers during matches."

Karasuno's manager seemed a little taken aback by the sudden request, but eventually, she smiled and agreed. 

The two managers sat outside of the gym building, chatting about their teams.

"The boys are absolute idiots despite how they look," Taiji let out a soft chuckle, "Especially our captains."

Even though the two managers had never really talked during the past matches, they both felt extremely comfortable with each other. 

Kiyoko tilted her head, "Can I ask you something?" 

"Sure," Taiji replied.

"Kageyama mentioned that you were a captain in middle school," she tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear, "Why did you choose to be a manager?"

Kiyoko immediately regretted asking the question as she saw the pain in Taiji's eyes, almost as if just thinking about it was torture.

"You don't have to talk about i-"

Kiyoko was interrupted by Taiji before she could finish.

"It's fine,' Taiji assured, "It's just been a while since someone asked me this."

"I had a back injury when I was a first-year," Taiji's voice was lower than usual, "So I decided to continue by supporting the boys."

As if not wanting to continue the dull subject, Taiji stop up from her seat and looked at the time, "Warm-ups are about to start,"

"Oh, alright," Kiyoko followed.

Just before leaving, Taiji gave Kiyoko a mischievous grin.

"We won't lose today," 

Kiyoko understood, despite having very different personalities, they were very similar.

"We won't either."

~~~

"Where have you been?" Iwaizumi immediately smacked Taiji on the head as soon as she came within distance, "Warm-ups are about to start,"

"Ow," She groaned as she rubbed the spot he hit, "I was talking to someone,"

"Did someone try to hit on you?" Hanamaki raised an eyebrow, "We might have to beat someone up."

Taiji let out a soft chuckled, "You guys have to stop worrying about me."

"They can't help it, Tai-chan," Oikawa butted in, wrapping his arm around her shoulders from behind "The first-years were freaking out when you disappeared!"  

Despite his teasing and joking, the one who worried the most was Oikawa, and the team knew that.

"Oikawa-san was pacing back and forth, you know," Kunimi taunted with a devilish grin, "He didn't even bother to look at his fangirls."

Matsukawa joined the teasing too, "He was suggesting to go and find you!"

Oikawa was flustered, and Taiji could see that.

She was a little flattered that Oikawa was worried about her, but something in the back of her mind was conflicted. Pushing it aside, Taiji gave her team her signature smile.

"Whatever," She grinned, "Warm-ups are starting soon."

~~~

Oikawa's fangirls screamed again, causing Taiji to roll her eyes.

"Oi," Iwaizumi took the ball from her grip and put it into a basket, "Now's not the time to get jealous."

"I'm not jealous!"

"Sure," Matsukawa added, "Whatever you say."

This caused Taiji's face to turn a light shade of pink, "Spiking drills, NOW!"

"No need to be embarrassed, Tai-chan." Hanamaki put his hands on Taiji's shoulders, "We'll give you all the attention you want!"

"Stop!" The manager yelped as her three friends cornered her, "Go finish your warm-ups!"

~~~

After Oikawa had gotten everyone's nerves under control by getting them worked up, the team gathered around for a final briefing before the match.

"We've played Karasuno before, so there's no need to be nervous," Taiji assured, "Remember what we talked about yesterday and do your best."

Taiji and Oikawa both also shared a grin, one that was not devious, nor had any secret meaning. It was a smile that comforted each other, one that anyone would be able to understand.

"Well then, Captain?" The manager looked over to Oikawa, prompting him to say something.

"As usual," Oikawa gave the team a sly grin before walking to the court, "I believe in all of you."

Taiji folded her arms and smiled, "What a dork."

~~~

The match had gone on for a while, Karasuno had finally used their freak quick. Taiji's eyes immediately lit up as she heard the signal.

Taiji's head snapped towards Oikawa, and he had done the same, looking at her over his shoulder. His expression was relaxed, almost cocky at some point.

'Ah,'  She smiled back at him, 'There it is."

Turning to the coach, Taiji almost a smirk on her lips, "Sensei, please call for a time out." 

"Taeko, are you sure?" The coach gave her a quizzical look, "Oikawa hasn't said anything yet."

"Dead sure," Taiji's eyes almost sparkled at that moment.

On the other end of the court, Coach Ukai noticed Seijoh's manager.

"She's trouble," 

~~~

"The keywords are 'Bring it' and 'To me'." Oikawa's face was filled with excitement.

"Are you sure?" 

"We're pretty sure," Taiji folded her arms, "Just follow Oikawa's lead."

"Alright then." The team grinned.

If there was anyone who could pick a team apart bit by bit to find their weaknesses, it was probably Oikawa and Taiji.

"And remember what I mentioned about their formations?" The manager smiled, "Use it to your advantage."

~~~

Karasuno watched Seijoh from the other end of the court.

"Taeko-san really is something, huh?" Sugawara grinned.

Kageyama put his bottle down, "You have no idea."

~~~

"Iwa-chan, if you think too much when you don't have a brain, you're going to hurt your head!"

Upon hearing this from Oikawa, Iwaizumi did what he usually did, he headbutted the captain. Oikawa fell from the impact and his bottle slipped from his grip.

Taiji laughed as she caught Oikawa's bottle midair, "You guys are way too nervous."

"Says you, Tai-chan," Oikawa managed to cough out after Iwaizumi's attack, "You're so tense that you look like your constipated!"

Taiji's smile turned into a glare as she hurled Oikawa's bottle straight to his head, making the captain fall back once again.

But despite her actions, Oikawa truly helped her calm down.