Chapter 15: Feelings

Oikawa wasn't sure when exactly he fell for Taiji, but he could tell you all about the moments that led up to his realization.

~~~

There she was.
A sunny spring afternoon.

He noticed her peacefully laying in the grass, the sun on her skin.
A butterfly on her nose

Oikawa wasn't sure what it was, but he wanted to be her friend, more than anything.
Life hung an opportunity right in front of him.
And he grabbed it.

Walking up to her, Oikawa was mesmerized as her green eyes were highlighted by the sun.
This was it.

The beginning of something wonderful.

~~~

He remembered walking home with Taiji in middle school, Iwaizumi had gone home earlier due to some other issues.

Seeing her smile as the wind billowed through her hair.

These were the small moments that caught his eye.

"I can't believe that we'll be in high school soon," She grinned, "It seems like only yesterday we finished elementary school."

"Yeah," Oikawa threw his head back, looking up to the sky, "Three years does fly by, doesn't it?"

"It does."

~~~

"Taiji's in the hospital, Tooru,"

That may have been the first time Oikawa felt terrified for someone else.

After hanging up on Iwaizumi, he ran.

What happened to her?

Was she hurt? Sick?

Oikawa wasn't one to run, but he was sprinting to the hospital.

He was scared.

Opening the door to Taiji's hospital room, he could see her figure sitting by the bed, looking out the window.

She looked fragile. Like she would shatter and disappear if they made even one mistake.

The smile on her lips was still bright, even with all the despair that lingered in the room.

Oikawa wasn't sure how she did it, but the world seemed a little less scary.

They had been so excited to be first years, and yet they were met with something like this?

~~~

The two laying under the dark sky, stargazing on that hot summer night. Their second year has been eventful.

Taiji had her eyes fixated on the stars, music quietly playing in the background from their phones.

Oikawa usually did the same, but that night, there was something else that caught his attention.

His eyes were tracing Taiji's features, she seemed so relaxed at that moment.

Seeing Oikawa's eyes watching her, Taiji gave him a smile.

The summer evening wind blew ever so slightly as he realized something.

'Oh god,'

His eyes widened as the thought hit him.

He had caught feelings.
But he couldn't ruin this.
He couldn't ruin the good thing that they had going.
Oikawa couldn't risk losing her.

So he decided to keep these feelings hidden.

~~~

And here he was, finally coming to terms with his crush.

It had festered and grown into something bigger.

He had been dating other girls as a way to try and keep his feelings away, but they all failed eventually.

Because when Oikawa looked at them, deep down he wished that it was Taiji that he was holding.

Like a seed that sprouted into a tree, his feelings were too hard to suppress anymore.

Oikawa Tooru was in love.