Chapter 7: Junior High

Watching Oikawa play alongside his team, Taiji couldn't help but think back.

It was their 3rd year of Junior high.
Oikawa had just received his award for the best setter.

It was also their last tournament with Kitagawa Daiichi.

"That's a rare sight," Taiji teased, "Oikawa smiling with no ulterior motive,"

"Hey!" Oikawa protested, "My smile is always straightforward and pure!"

Iwaizumi joined in on the teasing too, "Hearing those words from you is already nasty."

Taiji would always remember Oikawa's smile in that very moment, burnt into the very back of her mind. Back then, he was a silly guy.
But it wasn't always like that.

Oikawa Tooru was blessed with things that every athlete wished they had, height and an athletic build. Even from elementary school, he was above any average player with natural abilities like his.

But even with all that, there were things that Oikawa couldn't overcome.

~~~

It was the second year of Junior high.

They had lost to Shiratorizawa Junior high once more.

"Why can't we beat them?" Oikawa's grip on the ball tightened, "We couldn't even get a single set!"

Iwaizumi stood with his back facing Oikawa, he was obviously upset too.

"We have next year," Taiji assured, grabbing both of their arms, "We can try again then."

"But your team did well!" Oikawa blurted out angrily, "You guys are moving forward to the next round while we're still losing to them!"

Taiji pushed him roughly, "That's not an excuse to give up! You have to keep moving."

"She's right, you know," Iwaizumi piped up after being silent for most of the exchange, "We'll just have to beat them next time."

Oikawa's grip on the ball loosened, "Alright."

~~~

It was the first training as third years.
Oikawa and Taiji had both been elected to be captains.
With their talents and leadership skills, it was no surprise

As usual, both clubs had combined on the first day to meet the new members.

But one boy, in particular, caught Taiji's eyes.

"My name is Kageyama Tobio,"
And that was the start of Oikawa Tooru's downfall.

~~~

After her own practice had ended, Taiji was about to make her way home. She had fallen out of routine with Oikawa due to their practices ending at different times.

Oikawa had started staying back after practice to work on his serves and Taiji paid no mind to it, she thought he was fine.

Passing by the boys' gym court, Taiji heard yelling.

"You're overworking yourself!" A familiar voice rang out, "Coach warned you about it."

Poking her head in, Taiji was greeted by the sight of her two best friends.

Before Oikawa could do or say anything, she walked over and took the ball from him.

Taiji wasn't sure why she hadn't realized, but Oikawa had been tormenting himself during his extra practice.

She could have stayed back with him, but she chose to let him be.
And she was angry with herself.

The look on Taiji's face was mixed between pained, angry, and sorry.

"There will be no point in training so hard if you get hurt," Taiji's voice was soft, but asserting, "Please go stretch now."

~~~

It was so obvious to Taiji, 
Oikawa was terrified of being benched.
He was afraid of being replaced by his new kouhai.

Despite having taken a liking to Kageyama, Taiji knew Oikawa would go overboard if she didn't intervene.

Time after time she would stop him from overworking,
from doing things he would regret.

But there was a night.
Her own practice had ended much later due to a meeting with her coach.

As soon as she was allowed to leave, Taiji ran to the boys' gym.
What was worse, was that Kageyama had informed her that he was also staying back to practice.

'Crap,' She whispered to herself, 'I hope Iwaizumi's with him."

But reaching the gym, Taiji could see that Kageyama was standing next to Oikawa through the slightly opened door.

"Oikawa-san," She could hear the conversation, "Please teach me how to serve."

Taiji's heart dropped, this was going to end badly.

Seeing Oikawa raised his arm, Taiji quickly pushed open the door and ran in. Before he could move an inch, Taiji was hugging him from behind. She stopped him from doing something he would regret while Iwaizumi pulled the first-year away.

"Tooru!" she exclaimed, still panting from running, "Calm down!"

Feeling Taiji's arms around his chest, Oikawa's arms dropped as he realized what he had almost done.

Pulling away, Taiji brushed her hair away from her face.

"Tobio," She called out, "I think we're done for the day."

"Oh, okay, Taiji-senpai."

"C'mon, I'll walk you out." Taiji smile, putting a hand to Kageyama's shoulder, "I'll leave Oikawa to you then, Hajime."

"Right." 

That was the night Taiji convinced Kageyama not to join Aoba Johsai.
Because after what she saw, that was the only way for both of them to thrive.

After speaking to Kageyama, Taiji went back into the gym and was glad to see that Oikawa was back to normal.

"Oi, dumbasses," She grinned, "It's getting late,"

"Alright, alright," Iwaizumi picked up his bag, "No need to be a mom."

Oikawa followed from behind, "I'm starving."

"Me too," Taiji closed the gym behind them, "Do you guys wanna come over for dinner?"

"Hell yeah," Oikawa raised a fist, "Your mom makes the best curry."

Iwaizumi laughed but refused the idea, "I'm way too tired to deal with you both right now."

"Your lost!"

~~~

Taiji smiled from nostalgia.
How things had changed from then.

Hearing the cheer team abruptly scream, Taiji's attention was drawn away from her thoughts.

Karasuno was crouching on the floor, despair filled their court.
Seijoh on the other hand was screaming with joy.

They had won.

Joining the team in their celebration, Taiji was pulled into a hug by the third-years.

"You guys are all sweaty!" Taiji protested jokingly.

"Yeah but you love us enough that you'll excuse it," Hanamaki added, ruffling Taiji's hair.

"Now we'll just have to worry about tomorrow." Iwaizumi added, "We'll be playing against Shiratorizawa."

Pulling away, Taiji could see Oikawa's face tense up a little.

"Don't go overthinking again," she gave him a soft shove, "We're right here next to you."

The captain looked up with surprise, "You're probably right."

"Damn right I am."