Chapter 16: Mission get two dumbasses together

Iwaizumi had watched these two dance around each other while growing up.

And to put nicely,
He was sick of it.

"So we know the plan," Iwaizumi pointed a finger to his two scheming buddies, "Let's hope Shittykawa grows a pair,"

"He definitely won't" Matsun laughs, "I'll bet you  that Taiji would pull the first move."

"Oh, that's not even a question anymore."

~~~

"Man I can't believe Matsun got sick," Taiji whined, Iwaizumi and Oikawa on both sides of her, "This was supposed to be a group outing!"

"Well we can't help it now," Iwaizumi held back a grin, "I bet he's not even sick, probably just didn't wanna go out,"

"Right, Oikawa?"

Iwaizumi eyed his best friend, who was redder than a tomato.

Oikawa on the other hand, was having a heart attack,
not literally.

It had been a long time that he had seen Taiji dressed up, usually seeing her in the school uniform, gym clothes, and simple outfits during her hours at Takashi's daycare.

Iwaizumi shook his head, his friend was absolutely whipped.

"Huh?" Oikawa stuttered, "Sorry what?"

Taiji took notice of his flushed face, "Oh god, don't tell me you got sick too."

She leaned forward, putting a hand on his forehead, "Hm, you don't seem to be burning up, but you're pretty flushed, you good?"

"No! I mean, yes! I mean-" 

Taiji chuckled, handing him a bottle of water,  "Geez, okay, what's got you acting strange?"

Oikawa took the bottle sheepishly, "Thanks, it's nothing." 

Iwaizumi sighed, this plan better work.

~~~

"Well, it's just the four of us," Taiji stretched, "What do we do now?"

Maki's eyes had a glint of mischief, and she immediately regret asking.

"Well, I'm gonna steal ya girl here," He looped an arm around her shoulder, "Smell ya later losers,"

And with that, she was dragged off without another word.
She could hear Oikawa protesting as she was pulled along, but soon the voice faded into the crowd.

The two walked around, looking at stores, but as the night went on, more people crowded into the streets, making it had to navigate.

Taiji stopped by a store to catch a break and look at what the shop had, but as soon as she looked up from the little trinkets, Maki was nowhere to be seen.

She froze. 
With so many people rushing around, talking, children screaming,
It was overwhelming enough with a friend by her side.

But now she had gotten lost in the sea of people?
She was finding it difficult to think.

Taking a deep breath, she made her way back into the packed roads to find her friends.

It was a massive mistake.

Taiji was pushed around, her feet already aching from walking around, and thunder was heard in the distance, indicating that the 'clear weather' that Iwaizumi promised wasn't actually true.

The girl was confused with what to do, 
she couldn't call them, as she had left her phone behind.

A hand reached out to her, wrapping around her wrist.
She turned around, her instinct to hit the person was high.

"Tooru?" A wave of relief washed over her.

Oikawa was out of breath, his clothes messy and his eyebrows knit together.

"Oh thank god," He panted, "When we found Maki, he told us he had lost you, and I was so worried."

Taiji smiled, 
a fuzzy feeling spreading around her.

But there was no time to speak, with light droplets of water dripping onto the two's clothes, the rain spoiling the moment.

Oikawa smiled at the sudden downpour, linking his fingers together with Taiji's, they ran.

"C'mon, when we're you such a slowpoke?" Oikawa teased, "You're gonna get us soaked!"

"Shut up and lead the way!" She laughed, "You're gonna get us lost."

The two found a tight alleyway that provided shelter, squeezed together as they giggled.

But as the laughs died down, they soon realized how close they were, breaths fanning on each other as they blushed.

"This totally isn't awkward at all," Oikawa looked away, his heart beating out of his chest.

He could kiss her, she was so close.
He could, but should he?
He didn't want to ruin this.

"Y'know, I was really scared for a moment back there," Oikawa admits, "I mean, you lost in that huge crowd? I was gonna yell at Maki, but I decided you were more important."

Taiji's breath hitched, "I was more important?"

"Yeah, you're one of the most important people in my life," He grinned, "I'll choose you every time."

She acted without thinking.

Wrapping an arm behind Oikawa's neck, she pulled him in, their lips crashing together.

What was she doing? She thought to herself.
Was it the adrenaline rush?
Was it the years of pining she built up?

Why was she risking years of friendship for a kiss?

Oikawa's gasped in surprise at Taiji's sudden act of bravery.
He melted into it, the cold of the rain far from his thoughts.

Time slowed down.
The sound of the rain, slowly turning silent as his heartbeat filled his ears.

Taiji pulled away first, her face turned away.

"Tai-" Oikawa's voice was silenced by the sound of the rain coming to a drizzle.

"I'm sorry," She took a deep breath, "I shouldn't have done that."

And with that, she disappeared into the night, leaving him dumbfounded in the alleyway. 

~~~

Taiji ran home, not caring that her back was aching, that her shoe was giving her a blister.

She was brave enough to kiss her best friend, but she wasn't brave enough to know how he felt.

~~~

Oikawa flopped into his bed, his brain barely functioning.