Poppy

We ate in complete, eerie silence. I was not bothered about the paparazzi practically trying to break the glass wall. Nor about the women on the table across ours staring at us.

I reminisce our conversation from five minutes ago.

"Alexander, I want a divorce."

He looked at me as if I ate a buffalo.

"Have you lost your mind?"

I chuckled, "No! I finally found it."

He looked at me, and examined me as if I am some rare species in the museum.

Minutes later, he nodded, more to himself, "I will ask mother to visit you. She will give you some sense."

"Ah! That's where you are wrong honey. Ma cannot convince me to carry on with this fake facade anymore. I have made my decision."

"I decision I do not approve."

"Who are you to approve?"

"Your husband!", He retorted.

"Ask yourself how much of a husband you have been to me, before uttering that word again.", By that point, I was on the verge of loosing my calm, but my words definitely made him shut up. Or it was too soon to comment.

"What about your business?"

"You can take all the business and shit, and shove it up your ass! I don't want anything."

Now, he was busy thinking or more like formulating ideas to make me reverse my decision. I don't know why he is so hell bent on that. I am sure a set of women is waiting in line to be a trophy wife to him. I am not even demanding a penny, not even my business. He can afford a new wedding very well. What is the point of me in all this? Why should I destroy my life for something as materialistic as my business, and something as dumb as my husband.

My dinner was over, and I wiped my mouth with a tissue paper. Who cares about lipstick!

I finally did what I wanted to, from so long.

"I am done." With the dinner, as well as you,  "Happy anniversary dear husband. Tomorrow I am going to contact my lawyer. Hope you will co-operate."

++++

"Ma'am! Your cell is ringing.."

I hear Alice shout from outside my room's door.

"Let it. I am sure it is nothing important."

And then I held the paintbrush firmly and made the last few strokes to complete the painting. God! This feels so great, and I feel so liberated.

I clean my hands and slowly keep the painting in the safest corner of my room to let it dry. I can't wait to run my fingers over this beauty.

"Ma'am!"

Sometimes Alice irritates me.

"What??"

"Mrs. Campbell is here.."

Mrs. Campbell? That's me...oh wait! That's my mother in law.

Sighing frustrated, I left the room and locked it properly.

Coming downstairs my jaw falls to the ground when I see a familiar figure sitting beside my mother in law, who looked extra happy.

I decided to ignore him unless he announces his agreement to divorce.

"Hi Ma!", I greeted her and she stood up and kissed my forehead like always.

"How are you doing Aubrey?"

I smiled, "Better than ever."

I sat beside her and she talked about her new puppy, and I heard it all diligently. I admired her love for animals. She was a really wonderful woman, and the only sin she did was giving birth to an asshole.

"...and he sleeps after so much coo...", Her words are interrupted by a third voice, "Mumma.."

She turns to look at him, "Yes Alex?"

He passed her a look, "We were here to talk about something else."

She narrowed her eyebrows and then as if realization dawned upon her, she turned to me, "Oh Aubrey...I heard about your decision to divorce my son. Is that right?"

I nodded, "It is.", I was not sure about anything more than this.

"But child, you aren't thinking clearly. I mean tell me what troubles you so much that you thought divorce is the solution."

I looked at her straight in the eyes. It's high time I say it.

"Ma! It has been two years. My parents died and to inherit the last of their belonging, their business, I had to marry. Mr. Campbell suggested me to marry his son, and then all will be settled. I did think I will be good. But now, after spending two years in a dead mansion, in a loveless marriage, where my so-called-husband lives in a separate penthouse and wouldn't care if I am dead or alive, I don't feel good. I am not happy like this. I am twenty seven and have realized that real happiness lies in the people around us, and I have no one to share it all with. Only because of this marriage. Thus, I want to divorce Alexander. And then find someone who will love me, who I will love, have kids, and be happy finally. Something I am sure my parents want for me. And I am ready to surrender my business to him, because he has worked hard on it."

I see both mother and son dumbfounded.

"I'll bring you a coffee..", I also don't want to breakdown and show how desperate I am to get all that I mentioned.

++++

I was about to enter the dining room when I heard my mother in law, "...if you lose her, you are going to regret forever!"

I rolled my eyes and went in.

In the two years, this was the first time I made a coffee, for him.

I acted like I heard nothing and settled across them.

My mother in law picked up the coffee at once, as if eager to calm herself down. And my husband sat as still as a dead body.

"I have asked my lawyer to set up an appointment with you.", I addressed him for the first time today and his green eyes met mine. Gosh! Those eyes!

"...I..I will also prepare the business transfer papers in few..."

"Cut your crap Mrs. Campbell because you are going to remain just that. Mrs. Aubrey Alexander Campbell.", He announced like these are his final words.

"Alexander I...", Before I could complete he turned to his mother, "Mumma..I have an important meeting scheduled. Can you arrange for my things to get moved here by tonight."

The mother couldn't look more proud of this self proclaimed Hitler son.

I didn't know, the disaster, my marriage, that I was going to end, has just begun.

++++

Thankyou Aarya for the cover

Thankyou Aarya for the cover. This one is lovely and I can't be more grateful for all the love you shower on my work. Please stay connected.

Loads of love. Take care!