Marigold

The vegetables were cooked, I only needed to check if the meat was ready. I heard some commotion in the kitchen to see Brian, the youngest bodyguard walking in.

"Hey!", I greeted him.

He nodded and smiled gently. He seemed a little more comfortable than others. And I appreciated that.

"Uh..uhm..I was here to look for some food. I am hungry."

I nodded, "Why don't you call everyone down for dinner? It is almost done."

When he left, I called Gabby to help me serve the table. Today was Gabby's wedding anniversary and I didn't want her to work on the special day...I even made her and Will leave for a date in the day.

Soon after, all the men, including 'him' assembled at the dining table, and we were having dinner in peace.

"The steak is good today, Gaby.", I stiffened at his words but decided to remain quiet.

"Sir I did n...."

I shook my head at her signalling her to not speak up. And though her eyes were protesting, she agreed.

But it was too early to celebrate.

"But I saw Mrs. Campbell cooking today."

Wow. Keep it up Brian.

I did not want to be in his line of vision. Or attention. It reminded me all the worries about my life, marriage and bullshit.

"Well, Mrs. Wife!", I started cursing under my breath, while stabbing the meat ball in my plate, "The food is delicious."

I looked up, gave him my fakest, most sarcastic smile, "Thank you dear! I am glad you liked it."

I don't know if I heard wrong but he chuckled at that before busying himself in the plate. And I only rolled my eyes.

++++

It was not hard to sneak out. I dumped Will very conveniently at a coffee shop cum library. He must be thinking I am reading right now. But I am here.

If my husband thinks he is a genius, then he probably didn't research on me before marrying me.

"I have a appointment with Dr. Khai Tsung."

The receptionist nodded, "Mrs.Aubrey Smith?"

"Yeah."

I gave my maiden name here because Campbell's is a big name, and I don't want myself or them to be dragged in the dirt involving Paparazzi.

Dr. Khai Tsung was a Japanese lady who was working as a mental health specialist, here in New York.

She is the best according to my research and my doctor's recommendation.

As I entered the cabin, I knew there is no going back now.

++++

Dragging my feet, I entered the mansion, not wanting to do anything other than falling on my bed and sleeping the night off.

I had all my energy drained and I felt nauseated.

With my head hung low, and my purse clutched in my hands, I walked towards the stairs.

But my steps halted when I heard a voice, "Look who is home!"

I didn't want to do this, but something in me knew I can't escape this. I turned to face him, and god help me, the handsome beast was waiting to execute me..

I roamed my eyes in the room, to see all the bodyguards standing stiffly, Gabby looked concerned, while Will had a sorry expression.

Well, I was sorry for standing him up outside the library.

"Uh... Will, I am really sorry for leaving you there waiting. I ha..."

My view of Will was blocked by Alexander.

"Where were you?", His tone was accusatory, as if I was out there committing some murder.

"Somewhere on Earth."

I see irritation swim in those green eyes, "Well, what were you doing at that place?"

Now I was irritated. I don't want to be questioned, especially on that.

"Why does it concern you?"

"Oh c'mon Aubrey! It does concern me. You have been out of our sight for eight hours. My men have searched for you everywhere and you turn up now."

I looked at him incredulously, "Why did you bother yourself? I am not a kid. Other than not informing Will, I have done nothing wrong."

"Yeah! The arrogant lady you are, you would never accept your mistake. But I don't have time to entertain your escapades."

It was infuriating how he pops up suddenly and thinks he has the right to monitor my movement. Plus, I was not fooling around.

"I didn't ask for your time. I didn't ask for you to act like my husband when I finally asked for a divorce. Go away!  I don't owe you an explanation as to where I was."

"You do Aubrey! You live in my mansion. You are my wife. You have my title. So you are expected to behave."

I was furious at that.

"That was certainly your favour. Me living in 'your' mansion. I had such a beautiful time here. No? Go to hell Alexander. I promise I will escape this prison soon."

And with that, I turned, clutching my purse tight in my hands and left for the room that had my paintings. The only corner of this mansion that I  call home.

I closed the doors behind me and threw the purse with disdain.

Nothing is bringing me relief.

The tiredness took over my body and the anger too. I burst in tears even when my body was in no condition to do so. I felt like this mere incident will break me beyond repair.

When two years ago, both my parents died in a car accident and I was left alone, Mr. Campbell, being the major business partner and friend, proposed me to marry his son to save the business from collapsing and me, from loneliness. He died, soon after suggesting this, but we still took forward his idea. And that was the biggest mistake of my life. My loneliness was only intensified. Courteney left. I had no siblings. I had no one to cry to. I had no time to mourn my loss.

And now all this amounts to that one sentence.

I went forward with tears to pick up my purse and fetch that one paper.

I opened it and my eyes fell on that underlined sentence.

"Diagnosed with persistent depressive disorder."