Bougainville

I sipped the Oreo shake in my hand, as my husband talked animatedly with his cousins and friends. Courtney was too busy with the guests, and Jaden was busy serving. I was supposed to enjoy but I stopped enjoying few minutes ago. I was done socializing.

Alexander definitely had guts, when he signalled me over to come to him. I gritted my teeth, but for appearance sake went to him.

"Here! Meet my wife..", his hand sneaks its way to my waist, "..Aubrey."

And then he turns to me, "Aubrey...this is Meredith, Jason's aunt. She owns an island in Mediterranean and I just love it."

Meredith, the sixty years old lady, swoons on my husband's comment, "It's nothing big Alex. Me and Harris bought it when we were so young...well, why don't you take your wife there?"

He chuckled and then looked at me, our faces awfully close, "You'd like to go?"

I smiled wide, and whispered, "I'd like to kill you.."

He grinned wide, "Well Meredith! Aubrey here would love to. She loves traveling... something we both share.."

After few fake pleasantries, the ladies left us to 'romance'. Her words. Not mine.

I slowly slipped out of his hold, "Anyone else to impress!?"

He only looked at me, and then moments later looked away, "She's Dad's old friend."

I did not comment on that. His dad was a sensitive topic. Even for me.

*

"Too much sugar is not healthy.", I heard his voice from the back when I was sitting alone and sipping my third glass of Oreo shake.

Alcohol is prohibited to me because of my medication. So I decided to switch to the one thing I love in the whole world, Oreo shake.

They say serotonin helps with depression.

I didn't look in his direction but continued looking at Courtney dancing with Jaden, so much love between them.

"My health. My choice.", I mumbled under my breath sipping a little more.

I hear him sigh to himself and then lean on the counter just beside me.
I gave him a brief glance, and noticed him looking at me.

"You want to dance?", My head snapped in his direction hearing his question.

The last time we danced together was six months ago at one of his cousin's wedding, just because everyone was dancing and it would look bad.

"No."

"Why?"

He definitely knows how to aggravate me.

"Because I don't want to."

"Why don't you want to?"

"Because it's you asking."

I heard him chuckle, "You know many have asked me to dance with them today, but still I came to you.."

I looked at him and gave him a sarcastic smile, "Go ahead. Dance with the 'many'. I don't care."

"You sure?"

"You want to play husband and make me jealous by doing all this. Don't you? Go ahead and try. I am here."

He raised his brow, taking it as a challenge.

"Okay then."

With that, he left.

Minutes later, I see him merrily dancing with not one, two but four girls around him. Everybody was in a funny mood. He'd look at me from time to time, and everybody understood his agenda. That is he's trying to get my attention by doing this.