Chapter 39

Rydel's POV

"Yeah. It's been about two weeks since the tour finished and as good as it is to be home, I miss being on tour and seeing so many of my fans." Rena's voice rings out through the house.

"They're watching her interview," Ellington says under his breath to me, "again. Rydel, this isn't healthy for them."

"How was touring with R5? We've had them on the show a few times and they seem like great people," the family interviewer, Justine, mentions.

"Tour with then was fun," Rena says simply, not offering any more of an explanation.

"So Star," Troy starts, "you said that you are going to be taking the mask off today during our interview. What made you want to do that?" The fans are screaming their heads off again. Rena laughs nervously.

"And only a day after she told us. She moves on quickly," Riker comments in a jealous tone

"I got a movie role in a new DCOM. Before you ask, I'm not allowed to tell you the name of it or my character or literally anything else about the movie. Sorry," my little sister giggles.

"That's exciting! Are you sure you can't give us any details?" Justine inquires. Rena doesn't give a verbal excuse.

"She won't even tell her own family about it," dad says bitterly.

"We have to go turn this off before they drive themselves crazy," Ell urges, taking a few steps forward.

"Not yet. I want to hear what they say," I argue, pulling back on his arm. My boyfriend sighs and glances at the family room nervously, but doesn't go in.

"Well we'll be on the look out for future announcements," Troy promises. Rena is quiet still.

Rena stays quiet, almost making me forget that she is even on the interview at all. Justine and Troy are mindlessly chatting about upcoming movies in Hollywood.

"She's taking off the mask," Ellington reminds me, squeezing my hand. I nod and squeeze his hand back.

"Well that just happened," Justine says, breaking the silence. Rena giggles.

"See how easy it was for her to tell the world? But when it came to telling us, she couldn't be bothered," mom notes. Ellington and I exchange an annoyed eye roll.

"Mom-" Ryland gets cut off by the TV.

"Do you want to tell us your real name?" Troy offers. He sounds dazed, like he can't believe she actually took the mask off.

"Rena Lynch."

"Lynch. You're R5's little sister," he connects, "That's why you didn't go on your with them. Because you were headlining." Rena remains quiet again.

"So do they not know about Masked Star being their sister or daughter?" Justine inquires, sounding confused.

"They didn't up until yesterday. I wanted to tell them before I told the world, you know?" Rena replies, her tone getting more awkward. Ross snorts. Riker laughs without humor.

"How did they react once you told them?" A fan screams, her voice incredibly hard to hear.

"That's a question," my little sister jokes, laughing awkwardly.

"Uh oh," Justine comments, frowning, "that doesn't sound very good."

"Yeah, they didn't take it very well. Rocky and Rydel already knew. I had told Rydel right from the beginning and Rocky found out when he was snooping on my conversation with my best friend. The others didn't know though and they didn't react very well when I told them. I don't want to go into it too much, but there was a lot of screaming," she confesses, "They aren't very happy with me for not telling them in the first place. You know?"

"Here she comes, badmouthing us!" Ross complains.

"Cool it, Ross," Ryland says.

"I can see their point, but at the same time, they should respect your decision. They did still find out a day before the rest of us," Justine points out.

"That lady needs to mind her own business," Rocky mutters, angry.

"Who knew before you told your parents; other than Rydel and Rocky, of course?" Troy questions.

"More people than that should've," Riker mumbles bitterly.

"My best friend, Gracie. She's the one who helped me pick out my first mask and she's been my best friend for forever. She comes with me to all of my Masked Star things and is basically the Lily to my Miley. My manager, Julia, and my bodyguard, Brody, knew too. And of course Thomas knew before! I told him on our one year anniversary of dating," Rena answers. I can practically hear the smile on her face. It makes me smile wider. Justine coos. The crowd shrieks. Rena starts laughing.

"What's so funny?" Troy inquires, sounding confused.

"Tommy is over there making faces at me," she giggles, making both him and Justine laugh.

"I'm not even surprised that that Thomas boy knew before we did. Rena seems to worship the ground he walks on," Ross mentions. The tv volume cuts off.

"She's at his apartment right now," Rocky speaks up, totally ratting our little sister out.

"She's just a kid. Why does she think she's old enough to do things like this?" Mom demands, asking a rhetorical question.

"When she comes back home, she's going to be in so much trouble," dad adds on, almost as if he's reassuring mom. That's when I decide that I can't take it anymore. Ellington and I storm into the room, our hands clutched into fists.

"She's already home. She and Gracie bought an apartment together," Ellington blurts out, "and honestly, I can't say as though I blame them. You guys are treating her like shit."

"Thomas treats her good. Rena trusts him and obviously really cares about him. I don't know why you two can't just be supportive parents and you four can't get over your egos and be happy for your sister?" I rant.

"She's worked hard to accomplish everything she has on her own. That's why she didn't tell you in the first place! She didn't want it to slip that she's your sister because then our fans would support her because of us!" Ellington yells.

"And if we're being completely honest here, you two are the real reason she wore the mask," I snap, pointing at my parents, "if you two hadn't forced us to play with that devil child, James, then he wouldn't have scared Rena and made those awful comments to her."

Mom and dad stand there, shocked at our outburst. Rocky and Ryland hang their heads in shame. Riker and Ross refuse to meet our gaze.

"We have to go," Ellington says, his voice a lot quieter. He takes my hand, and the two of us walk out of my parents' house together.