Chapter 18

Keith's POV

I watched Lance as he rambled silently to himself. Then I heard his last line.

"...I promised....till the day I die..."

I exchanged a glace with Shiro. We didn't know his past but it seemed like whatever happened to him seemed to drive him and this line....this line he mumbled seemed to put a puzzle piece into place.

"Lance...." Shiro began cautiously. "Are you ok?"

Lance turned and looked at us. Tears plastered his cheeks. One would expect them to be tears of sadness as we all know what had happened to his mate but as I, Keith, stared into his tear filled eyes I saw that it wasn't just one singular emotion. There was many.

There was pain. There was agony. There was pride. There was happiness. But the emotion that shocked me the most was love.

Love was in his eyes.

It wasn't directed at me. Nor was it directed at Shiro as again one would expect. No rather as I looked at him and the hand that rested on his stomach where his unborn pup grew. I knew. It was directed at the pup. The love in his eyes was for his unborn pup.

The memories they'd share. The 'first-evers' they'd have together. The cuddles. The pain of life they'd share. The heartbreak of the pup's first crush. The nights of laughter they'd have.

All of it was there. In Lance's eye's.

Shiro got up and placed a loving hand on my shoulder.

"I'm going to talk to Pidge about the papers."  And Shiro left the room closing the door behind him.

"Hey Lance?" I asked cautiously. Preparing for his reaction to the question I wanted to ask because through his rambling I had heard things Shiro hadn't.

"Yeah?"

"Who's Clarice?"