Chapter 10 ▴ Getaway Getups

Amelia shifted on the springy pink chair she sat on as she and Athena watched Ivy browse through a rack of dresses in front of them

Amelia shifted on the springy pink chair she sat on as she and Athena watched Ivy browse through a rack of dresses in front of them. The three of them were looking around the local boutique for the last couple of hours, and since Amelia and Athena both didn't have what Ivy called "a taste for fanciness", Ivy made them sit still while she grabbed every dress she found attractive. Amelia wasn't sure if their friend was enjoying her time or stressing out in choosing the perfect outfit for them. Either way, Ivy looked like she wasn't gonna take a break anytime soon as she ran around the store like a deranged madman, a bunch of dresses of all sizes piling up over her shoulders.

Just a second after Ivy dropped her dress pile on a chair beside them to take off once more, Athena groaned. "This is just a waste of time! We could be planning our next moves right now!"

"Yeah, you're right," Amelia said. "But shopping has a point though, you know. We've got to fit in if we want to know more about the Titans. And I don't have anything decent to wear for this kind of event. I never really wore a lot of dresses in my life."

Before she even transferred to Olympian High, Amelia and Uncle Ben didn't have a lot of money to spend on nice things like dresses. But now that Demetrius found her, the man didn't hesitate to give her her own money to spend. Amelia was appalled by the large sum she got—Demetrius told her that was for one month—but he insisted it was one of his ways to "make it up to her". She couldn't do anything but accept it.

"See, girl? Ames agrees with me." Ivy stopped in front of them with pairs of shoes in her grasp. "With what you're wearing right now, those mafia guys will get suspicious and spot us even before we step into the resort."

Athena huffed. "I'm aware of that. But I don't like that we're using too much time just for shopping. We can simply grab a dress from one of the aisles and be done with it."

"That's out of the question," Ivy said. "We have to pick the perfect one for you. Don't you want to look pretty?"

"I do want to be presentable, but I don't want to indulge in my looks all the time," Athena said. "Vanity does not define me, or anyone, as a person, and I've never relied on it for other people to like me."

Ivy placed the shoes on the floor, except for a silver pair. "Yeah, sure. Whatever you say. But you should definitely indulge every now and then." She then picked a long, wine-red gown from the pile of dresses nearby. "Come on! I think I've found the perfect outfit for you!"

Sighing, Athena followed Ivy into a dressing area and went inside one of the booths. A few minutes later, Ivy, giggling, hopped out of the dressing area with a reluctant Athena on tow.

Amelia's jaw dropped. "Whoa. . ."

The dress' wine-colored satin fabric shone from head to toe as Athena ever moved so slightly. It hugged her slim but athletic figure at the waist up until her bust, the whole thing attached by thin straps. Down the waist onward, the dress became loose. A glamorous train trailed behind her. Finally, a long slit from the floor to the knee cut through the dress, exposing Athena's left leg.