Chapter 16 ▴ Waning Moon

A clattering noise jerked Amelia awake

A clattering noise jerked Amelia awake. Her eyes were puffed up, but the green furniture of her room met her gaze, and her racing heart calmed. Unlike the times when she woke up from dreaming about Hera, she wasn't in some sort of medical facility, which was good at least. But then she slept on her dress from the hotel, and she could tell that it needed to be ironed more than once before it could be used again.

After months of silence, why did Hera visit her now? More often than not, the goddess left Amelia with more questions than answers, and what she just told her was disturbing, to say the least.

"Hera, what did you do?" she whispered to herself.

A hint of movement caught her peripheral vision, making her turn to see a blonde figure standing by her room's doorway. He was out of his tuxedo and was wearing a navy blue shirt and pants, his hands holding a tray of food.

"Zeus?" Amelia rubbed her eyes. "What are you doing here?"

Zeus smiled sheepishly. "Sorry if I woke you up. I thought of bringing you some breakfast."

"Breakfast?" Her gaze narrowed. "But I already ate."

"You slept the whole day," Zeus said as he walked up to her, the fine cutlery clattering with his every move. "It's Sunday."

Her face faltered. "Oh."

"The jet lag must've hit you hard," he added.

"Yeah. . . probably," Amelia muttered.

I almost forgot about the consequence of sleeping Hera's visions, or just my dreams in general, she thought. Sleeping the whole day like nobody's business. I should put it in my list of skills.

"Don't worry, you didn't miss a lot yesterday." Zeus settled the tray on her empty nightstand. "Here."

Amelia moved to the edge of her bed. "Thanks."

The tray had a plate of beans, sausages, and eggs—a typical English meal, which Amelia later found out—and a glass of water. Amelia placed the plate on her lap, took a fork and a knife from the tray, and dug in. She grabbed a bite from the sausage, but the thing felt like going back up to her throat. As she tried to chew it down, she glanced at Zeus who was still standing by the bedpost.

Sighing, Amelia settled down her fork. "Do you want something?"

"What?" Zeus blinked. "Oh, no. I was just waiting for you to finish up."

"You know I can call a maid to give back the tray, right?"

"No, um. . ." He scratched his head. "I thought that maybe, you know, you need someone to talk to?"

Amelia turned to her plate, her fingers fiddling with the utensils. "Thanks for the concern, but I'm not really in the mood to talk to someone right now."

"A-Are you sure?" he asked. "I insist—"

"I'm fine, Zeus," she snapped. "Will you please leave me alone?"