Chapter 36 ▴ Bury the Dead

When it came to death, moving on was never an option

When she knew that Ben died, Amelia had cried for him that night and for the days that came after. Every day since were filled with endless tears and a million regrets of what she could've done, what she could've said-anything that might have changed the course of what had happened. But, as she later learned from her father, time had other plans. All she could do was to accept the outcome for better or worse.

When she knew that Claudius had taken over Ben, Amelia had thought she would never be able to give Ben a proper goodbye, to somehow talk to him for the last time. But now, she could. Tears that she thought she had already shed came back to her all over again.

This time around, Amelia didn't cry alone in a corner while she stared at Ben's fresh grave. The clouds wept with her today. She bathed under their cool tears before someone handed her an umbrella. That someone was Demetrius, who shed a few tears of his own.

The priest had left them for a while now. Rain still poured by the droves, but Amelia, Demetrius, Athena, Ivy and Poseidon hadn't moved one bit, their black umbrellas the only things protecting them from the harsh weather.

Amelia tore her gaze from Ben's simple tombstone to glance at Poseidon, who himself sat in a wheelchair that was handled by Ivy. After Pierre had left her a few weeks ago, she and the others brought Sei to the nearest hospital, where they later learned that he sustained many bone fractures across his body. The doctor said it was a miracle that they were able to move him all the way to the hospital without killing him.

Ivy, who was with him the whole time, told them that Claudius literally crushed Poseidon onto the ground, hence the presence of the crater near the principal's office. Though she took a while to spill everything as she was still shaken at everything that happened, Amelia didn't blame her for it. Hearing about it made her more sick to the stomach than she already was at that time.

Poseidon didn't act like himself since then. With him confined to the bed for weeks, he had mostly been spacing out and didn't bother to talk or even nod when he was being addressed. Amelia made it her job to see him daily for several hours at a time. But she always made sure that she didn't intrude whenever Ivy and Sei were having a personal moment together. She didn't want to become the annoying third wheel in their blooming relationship. Besides, she was glad Ivy was being so helpful and supportive. Her ever-cheery spirit, which thankfully didn't take a hit from the recent fight, seemed to help Poseidon cope from being bedridden the whole time. Amelia and his siblings owed her a lot for it.

Not everything turned as great after the battle at Olympian High. Other than losing most of the Artifacts they had collected over the past year, they had lost contact with the only person who could help them track the Artifacts down. Ever since fleeing from the school, the Oracle had made absolutely no contact with Athena, the only person he communicated with. Athena had been tracking him far and wide since then, but their limited resources couldn't get a single breadcrumb of the young ingenious hacker so far. She was still trying as they were desperate to find the Titans' hideout where they might find what they were looking for. Amelia knew someone who could've told them where it was, but he had already left her hanging. . .