Chapter 28 ▴ Paris

The flight wasn't as long as Amelia thought, but every second of it sure felt awkward and uncomfortable

Neither of them talked the entire time. After what she did before they left, there was really nothing to talk about. So she simply let Raymond keep his silence. Besides, her chapped lips were glued because of the freezing cold with them so high up. They were moving so fast she had her eyes closed most of the time to shield them from debris. How Raymond managed to see their way up in the sky was a mystery to her.

When she did open her eyes in an attempt to pinpoint where they were, all she could see was clouds and more clouds as they whooshed by. They varied with each passing moment. Some were white and fluffy like cotton candy. Others, on the other hand, were dark and ominous. The rest of the sky didn't have clouds at all.

And that wasn't the only ones that were different. The entire sky—no, skies—changed before Amelia's eyes. Ever since they left Japan, she admired how the morning sky gradually changed to its counterpart as they crossed multiple timezones. The stars and the moon, which looked much larger to her than ever before, glowed above her warmly. Down below, lights from cities twinkled as bright as the stars above. It was so surreal that it felt like she was traveling through time backwards.

"Amazing," Amelia murmured.

She stole Raymond a hopeful glance. Only now she noticed that unlike his passive-aggressive expression she last saw, he looked like he was about to faint. His eyes threatened to droop and his lips were parted, as if panting from running a marathon.

"A-Are you okay?" she shouted from the wind gusting in their ears.

"Not really," he admitted, his voice loud. "I think I'm going to pass out."

Amelia darted her gaze around in panic. They were still too high up to land anywhere. "Just hold on. Can you do that?"

"For a while, I guess." His voice sounded less confident. "My feet are killing me."

She narrowed her eyes below, where the city lights seemed to be brighter than the ones they passed by recently. Talaria's wings beat on his feet like a hummingbird's.

"Do you know if we're almost there?

"You tell me," he said annoyingly, "since I don't have enough brains to know."

Amelia bit back a scathing reply. She didn't have to add insult to injury or they might end up crash-landing in the middle of some city.

As Amelia continued to look down, they began to lose altitude. Hermes' Sandals had its wings faltering every second or so. The lights looked brighter and the outlines of buildings and roads began to clear.

She gasped at the majestic view. Even in the early hours of night, the city was still teeming with life. Not soon after, she spotted a familiar tower standing in a wide, open clearing. She never thought she could be so relieved to see such a famous building face-to-face.