7) m i s t e r s

The first thing Eli noticed when he awoke was that he felt comfortable under the soft blanket, snuggled against something warm. Then he realised there was an arm around his waist, a hand that rested on the small of his back. When he opened his eyes, he saw the person who was embracing him.

Eli's heart skipped a beat when he realised he was held by no other than Benjamin, the only person who could genuinely make him happy these days. Then his heartbeat started to accelerate, and this time not in a good way: he had spent the night. He had spent the night at Benjamin's. He was sleeping in Benjamin's arms, in Benjamin's room.

"Oh God." Eli sat up abruptly. He could feel the throbbing of his heart and the sharpness of his breathing. What a horrible mistake he had made by getting shit-faced and somehow ending up spending the night. He needed to get away and he needed to do so without delay.

"No.. Come back here." Benjamin mumbled drowsily, pulling Eli back to lie in his arms.

"I can't. Benjamin, I can't be doing this." Eli was surprised by how frantically the words came out of his mouth.

"You're shaking." Benjamin opened his eyes, studying Eli's face for a moment. His eyebrows were knitted, but the look on his face was affectionate. Then he hugged him closer and murmured: "Just stay for a little while. What's the harm in doing that?"

Eli weighed his mind. He wasn't even sure why the thought of spending the night perplexed him so much. He wasn't sure why the mere thought of letting Benjamin that close scared him so deeply.

"Don't push me away again." Benjamin insisted. The words were soft like feathers, but behind them was a plea: please don't leave me. Eli didn't answer, but he let his tensed up muscles relax and wrapped his arm loosely around Benjamin's lower back. 

The need to sleep overpowered the need to flee, so Eli shut his eyes and soon enough fell back to sleep. When he woke up again, somehow the fact he had spent the night didn't feel as horrifying. Especially when he was awoken by a soft touch on his temple. Eli kept his eyes shut for a second or two, just enjoying the way Benjamin's fingertips brushed his skin. 

Then he opened his eyes tardily and couldn't keep the grin off his lips when he saw Benjamin's expression. The raven haired guy looked taken aback, if not even embarrassed, getting caught from doing something like that.

Then he seemed to pull himself together and he was smiling when he continued brushing Eli's face. Benjamin trailed his fingertips on the bridge of his nose and down to his lower lip. All the while his left hand fondled Eli's side absent-mindedly. 

"We didn't even fuck." Eli pointed out, earning a snort from Benjamin. 

"And that's what you're worrying about now?" He laughed, the playful glint back in his eyes. "We have plenty of time to do that if you decide to stay."

"I mean, I probably should get going." Eli sighed reluctantly. He didn't have anywhere to go, but spending the night and staying the day sounded a little too risky.

"You have work?" Benjamin lifted his eyebrows, his hand halting on Eli's chin.

"No, but.." Eli let his voice trail off. 

"If you have nowhere to go, I have no reason to let you leave." Benjamin smirked happily and leaned in to kiss him. Eli didn't need coaxing, when there was finally something he was familiar with. He answered the kiss eagerly, entwining his fingers in Benjamin's raven black hair. 

"Can I go and wash my teeth at least?" Eli laughed when he pulled away from the kiss. He truly hoped he didn't have a terrible case or morning breath, but from the look on Benjamin's face it didn't seem to be so.