Chapter One: Al Qamar

Everyone is meant to die.

Everyone has a spot on this planet that is ripped from them by the holy peacefulness which is death.

No one knows when it'll happen.

A sudden onset of chest spasms in the car as you drive home.

A blown up explosion of tears and metal in the airplane ride towards a vacation of sort.

Softy, gently in the middle of the night.

It was always the same end result though.

Falling down through an abyss of darkness... quicker than falling asleep.

That abyss was clouding my vision right now.

He'd come in the brink of the night. He'd slaughtered everyone in the house and was now targeting me.

I wish I'd known we'd been targets.

His fingers tightened around the place where my trachea was. I think he might've crushed it actually because fragments were sitting at my throat and causing blood to gurgle from the side of my mouth.

"Little girlllll." He cackles, a heavy breathing mask, restricting the sound from reaching my ears, so the voice came up as muffled. "It's a shame such a quirk has to be lost."

Survival instincts kick in. My eyes roll to the top of my head. I force myself to stop struggling and fall limp in his arms.

It takes him a couple seconds extra to drop me to the floor with a disgusted sneer.

I don't dare breathe yet.

"Would've expected a tad more fight out of her." The man tsks like how dare I have the audacity to make his night so boring.

My sleeping younger sister was hidden in the upstairs closet, under a bundle of laundry.

If she had heard nothing of what had happened today... she should still sleep for a couple more hours.

I should've left it there. I should've waited for him to leave. I should've just laid there acting dead until some hero decided to swoop in to save us.

But tangles of revenge were arguing with the black that was threatening to overtake my entire vision.

I see the knife on the edge of the counter. He doesn't. He doesn't know this house... not like I did.

He was on the phone, bragging about his latest kills. He'd been bragging about the rare quirks he'd slaughtered that night.

My eyes peeled open all the way, like ancient tape being forced off its home. It was like ripping glue off my lids.

My hand reaches out and in my oxygen deprived, three-quarters to death state, the knife by the counter starts to shake. A startling blue field of electromagnetism engulfs the knife, effectively trapping it in my control.

"What do you mean there's another child?? A toddler?" He seethes and the phone is almost crushed in his angry state.

The knife moves with the movement of my hand. It flies and sinks itself deep into the neck of this perturbator.

His neck slices sideways and he falls, a lake of red, iron blood starting to form around him.

And he dies in the blood of those which he tried to kill.

In a last-ditch attempt, my hand reaches for the phone.

I dial the number and slump down, surrendering to the darkness of the abyss. Only for my mum's face to appear in my vision. "It is not yet your time my love." She scolds me and shoves me away.