Chapter Two: Nothing Left to Lose

The way your life can suddenly change can seriously screw with someone's head.

I'd been in the god-damn hospital for more than a month.

I still couldn't breathe properly without a machine. But thankfully Detective Tsukauchi managed to get me out of there before I literally exploded. A tube in my mouth was hidden by the huge oxygen mask I was required to wear and the machine was latched to my hip, attached to me like some walkie-talkie.

The first time Qamar saw the machines hooked up on me, she burst into screams of fear and horror, crying in a hysterical attempt to reach out for our mother.

She kept asking for them. Asking for mum. Asking for dad. Asking for our two other siblings.

Jamilah and Kolton. My older brother was her favorite sibling. Every time the door would swing open, her head whipped around, looking frantically for Kolton. Only for her to slump down in sadness when it wasn't him.

It broke me.

Jamilah had been older than me as well. She died saving my life. She lived up to the meaning of her name. She was truly beautiful; both in body and soul.

Qamar clung to me like I was her last lifeline. We were never close before. She was a baby and I'd been a child.

We didn't usually get along nonetheless... we had no other choice. I had no one else but her in the whole entire world and she had no one else but me.

I just didn't know how to tell her that.

How did you tell a two-year-old something like that? Would she even understand?

I was to be discharged today and taken to the hospital for regular checkups every week. Detective Tsukauchi had kindly taken it upon himself to take us in. He didn't even think twice about offering us his home.

We'd been warned about the utter chaos outside. Somehow my discharge date had been leaked to the press and the hospital was swarmed to the brim with paparazzi.

Great.

My family name was one that offered us a slight bit of power. We were a family known to have powerful quirks. My mum's quirk had been her amazingly impenetrable force fields that she could control at will and even cause explosive bombs with. My father was known for his telekinesis.

Jamilah controlled the weather and could summon natural disasters or lightning at will, effectively disabling anyone coming close.

Kolton was a master at telepathy, effectively hearing and controlling the thoughts and minds of the people around him.

They'd been training to be pro-heroes. The best of the best.

So how the hell did did someone manage to make them all fall?

It was simple.

The person who'd attacked us had the disastrous ability to absorb someone's powers and effectively nullify them. He could not use the quirk, but he did get excessively stronger with each one he absorbed.

He'd cut us down one by one. He'd targeted us individually and separated. When we had been all alone.

My father in the yard barbecuing god knows what. My mother in the kitchen making a snack. My brother in the garage, rocking away on his guitar making songs he could sing to us when we least expected it.

And finally my sister Jamellah, who'd been the first one to scream.

Her heightened senses immediately detected something amiss and she'd been the one to alert me something had gone drastically wrong.