Chapter Eight: Pig for Slaughter

I was dressed in a black dress.... one Midnight had bought me.

It was simple enough and even came with shorts attached and pocketssss. I fell in love with both the dress and Midnight when she handed it to me.

It was quite short and since I didn't have the confidence in my body like my mum or Jamellah, I wore black tights underneath.

I paired the outfit with heels. Unfortunately, grandfather didn't condone non-dress shoes. He hated them. So it was a rule for all the Akemi members to dress formally during public occasions.

Aunt Violet was standing on guard outside. She and Nezu would be accompanying me. Nezu refused to let me go into the pit of snakes, as he called it, all alone.

Qamar would stay in U-A high under the protection of all the pro-heroes at the school. That girl was going to grow up spoiled. They all loved her too much.

I felt bad for her potential significant other. They were going to go through hell.

I climb into the car and Nezu moves to the front seat beside my aunt who was driving.

"You look nice, niece." She tells me and I nod, bowing deeply to her.

"Thank you, Aunt. You look lovely as always."

My hands were twitching slightly and I yearned for a fidget toy just to give my hands something to do other than pick at my nails or the skin on my hand.

"Olene." Nezu hands me a fidget toy. "Here darling."

My eyes widen in shock. He knew? He knew and cared enough to buy me one? The affection and thought involved in his action made me want to cry.

"Thank you Nezu," I say softly and grab the fidget toy.

"Is that one of the consequences of the accident?" My Aunt's tone was pissing me off.

"You mean the murder." Nezu sneers back and I suddenly loved the mouse.

The fidget toy was a plastic hexagon with a bunch of make-shift buttons. My fingers and my brain instantly adore the thing and I could breathe much much easier, my thoughts clearing almost instantly.

"Yes. The murder of my brother and his family," She snaps back.

"Could we please turn on the radio Aunt Violet?" I ask, trying to stop the arguing.

She nods in agreement, "Yes. Yes of course."

She turns on the radio and I don't miss the thankful looks in both my aunt and Nezu's eyes. The scene makes me shove back a snicker.

My oxygen mask was heavy on my face and I could see my aunt eyeing the contraption, her eyes going from the machine to the injuries on my neck. She looked pained.

Everyone's eyes go to my form when we arrive. Everyone including Ronda's husband. The man was staring at me so much, I was seconds from punching him.

The funeral was brief. It was a closed casket. Ronda's husband stood to the side. He was emotionless. He showed no sadness on his face.

I walk up and place a single rose on my cousin's casket. I bend down and give her casket a kiss, "Love you Honda Civic." My words were soft and I give her a sad smile, moving back to stand by Nezu's side.

There was a prickling feeling on my back. I turn around and see Ronda's previous husband still looking at me. Swallowing back a stream of curses, I give him a once over and roll my eyes.

Man didn't like that.

He was at my side a minute later.

I don't dare move.