25 | Through thick and thin

Zemira

The moment I opened the door to Leo's apartment, balloons burst and Romeo barked louder than ever. What stood out the most was the symphonic hoot - Happy Birthday.

My favorite people had assembled in Leo's apartment. My gaze landed on Leo, dressed in a tuxedo. 

I'd hardly seen him in formal attire since our first date when he went overboard, bringing me flowers and acting like we never dated before - fake or otherwise.

My gaze slid on Kiera, standing next to Jake. As usual, they both wore complimentary colors. Her red dress that accentuated her curves matched perfectly with Jake's black tuxedo, a red pocket square to add to its beauty.

Besides them, Sam stood, as casual as always - a crisp white shirt and blue denim. He ran towards me, picked me off the ground and twirled me in the air.

"I barely had anything to eat," I gripped his shoulders, locking my arms around him. "So put me down before I throw up on you."

"Happy birthday, sweetheart." He pecked my cheek, then my forehead. My eyes closed and blinked open towards the side Leo stood.

He smiled. A genuine smile that crinkled his face and made my chest flood with contentment. 

I had assumed Leo didn't like Sam for some reason. Giving my friend and my boyfriend the required space to ease up on their egos, I never bought them to face each other.

Was that all in my head?

My thoughts dispersed as soon as Kiera plucked me off Sam's hold, thrusting me over her chest. 

"I've missed you, baby," she cooed, patting my head and sighing into my shoulder. 

For the past few months, I could only see Kiera through video calls, so I greedily held onto my best friend, letting her drench me with her love.

"How are you, Kiera?" I asked, feeling her nod over my shoulder.

"Never been better."

Lie.

Standard Kiera's response was always...always... I don't want to talk about it.

If she made an effort to fake her response, the reality must be that bad.

Jake moved closer, tapping on my shoulder. I broke our girly embrace, tugging Jake into a sandwiched hug.

"Careful," Jake chuckled, looping his arm around both of us. "I don't want to wrinkle my suit. Pretty sure Leo doesn't have an iron."

Kiera was the first to break the group huddle, turning her body to face Leo. "He doesn't. Else he'd not be living here."

"Hey," I protested. "This place is great."

"For a prison," she countered.

Leo moved away from the counter, that classic smile never leaving his face. As he drew closer, leaning near me, he twirled a lock of hair off my face and tucked it behind my ear.

"Happy birthday, darling." 

The whispery touch of his words struck like a matchstick on the rough surface.

Had there been nobody around, I'd have kissed his lips raw and had my way with him till our bodies needed replenishment. 

Breaking my reverie, Leo kissed my shoulder, smirking. 

My eyes closed for a moment, drinking up that confident smile that had somehow disappeared since his addiction began.

Waves of contentment washed over me as soon as he curled his arm around my waist, grabbing me into the fitting position beside his body.