13 • No Choice

SHATTER

"If you were watching her carefully this wouldn't have happened!"

"Oh, so I'm the only one at fault?! If you weren't so busy with WORK you could've been with her while I do the housework!"

"Be thankful that I'm the one feeding you two!"

"So work is much more important than your own daughter?! For fuck sake! She tried to kill herself! You know that she's different!"

Minjeong stood near the corridor, watching her parents argue with a blank expression. She couldn't understand what was going on, she couldn't understand the tension that emanated from their kitchen.

"What about you huh?! What's up with you and that coworker of yours?!"

Mr. Kim cornered his wife by the counters, causing the woman to sit on it just to back away more.

"We're childhood friends, you know that! Nothing is going on between us!"

"Is it?!"

The father wrapped his hand around his wife's throat, causing the woman to cough and choke.

"Are you on d-drugs again?! You're ha...hallucinating!" she managed to let her voice out.

COUGH COUGH COUGH

Not feeling any emotions as well as not wanting to watch the situation, Minjeong walked away and stepped outside of their home.

It was late at night, so she could feel the night breeze passing, rubbing her shoulders to cope up with the cold.

While walking around the neighborhood with no destination in mind, the little girl found a stick and picked it up. She started to play with it, swaying it around whilst skipping towards who knows where the road takes her.

When she arrived at this particular bridge, Minjeong approached the railings, standing on her toes, and curiously peeked down the river.

Standing up properly, Minjeong threw away the stick she had in hand towards the intensely streaming river in frustration.

The little girl tilted her head thoughtfully, still feeling the confusion because of the scene she just witnessed back at home.

"They always fight, most of them included me... is it my fault?" she mumbled to herself, sighing.

She sat down near the railings, passing her legs through the baluster as well as hands grabbing onto it firmly, feet swaying playfully.

"Huh? What's a kid doing here late at night?"

Minjeong slowly turned her head towards the voice, revealing a tall beautiful figure who halted her steps just to look at the little girl.

The girl sat down on her heels, "What are you doing here?" she smiled.

Minjeong stared at the girl without any expression, "Dad's abusing mom again." she said blatantly.

The girl widened her eyes, now looking at the little girl with worried eyes. She patted the latter's head before standing up, then reaching her hand in an offer to the little girl to stand up.

"Why don't you stand up there first? It's dangerous."

Minjeong subtly nodded her head and stood up, grabbing the beautiful girl's hand.

"What's your name?"

"...Kim Minjeong."

"Nice to meet you Minjeong, I'm Bae Joohyun. Shall I take you home?"