41 • Promise

"What?!"

"Yeah, you heard me right." Minjeong averted her gaze, "Allow me to spar with someone from the team."

The group of people who circled around the girl along with coach Jay was left standing in shock and silence. Everyone who was a part of the Kendo team knew the girl's achievements as well as how she rarely played the sport.

For some goddamn reason, something inside Minjeong's mind awoken and urged her to come to the campus field to ask the coach in desire of wanting to spar with a player. The group of players couldn't believe what they heard, it was so uncommon.

Despite the silence, Lucas was bold enough to walk inside the circle and cheer as if he had won something. He casually hooked his arm around the girl and patted her shoulder.

"Woohoo! Minjeongie's back!"

Slightly annoyed by the sudden contact, Minjeong gazed down at the grass and grunted. "Distance, Lucas... I'm not back or anything, I'm just going to see if I still had that spark," she mumbled.

"Oops."

Lucas created distance and subtly bowed his head apologetically. Then out of nowhere, the people who gathered around began to cheer loudly. Confused by this, Minjeong looked around and immediately saw Win standing within the circle.

"I'll take you on," he smiled. "How about a bet?"

Minjeong stared at the taller expressionless, "Bet, huh?"

"Um, sorry to bother but... Sicheng, I don't think that's a good idea." Lucas nudged the guy, "Have you seen her kick my ass?"

Win maintained his smile, "I think I have a chance, I've seen her swings. Minjeong's a bit rusty now."

Interested in Win's skills and experience Minjeong returned the smile with a nod. That's when the cheers got louder and pulled attention from the passersby near the field. Of course, the girl hated this though shook that thought away and focused on what was in front of her.

Jay smiled at the commotion and grabbed an extra wooden sword that was positioned against a tree. He patted Minjeong's back and gave it to her with nostalgic eyes akin to a proud father.

Minjeong couldn't even remember the last time she heard cheers from the people she was acquainted with, particularly, this Kendo team. She could see some familiar faces yet never recalled their names, simply because she left the sport a long time ago.

And before she even realized what was going on within her sight, she was already positioned in the very middle of the field with a good amount of people watching by the sidelines.

The girl subconsciously swallowed her spit and succumbed to the feeling of anxiety, she hated the crowd. Even though she was in her fighting stance, it looked tense and unstable.

Surely, as her opponent, Win noticed Minjeong's slightly trembling hands. So he approached the girl and softly patted her shoulder, whispering not to mind the people and focus on kicking his ass.

"If I win, you have to go on a date with me," he said with a cheeky smile. "I'm aware of how good you are, so you'll totally win right? If not then... I'll be lucky as hell!"

Minjeong stared at the taller in disbelief, eventually releasing a small peal of laughter. The match hasn't even started yet the crowd's beginning to pile up which made the girl feel a bit more uneasy.

Just like what her opponent said, she went along, closed her eyes for a moment to calm her mind, gradually opening them, then giving the taller a thumbs up.