t h r e e

CHAPTER THREE:

"surprise"

SHE COULD NOT believe it

SHE COULD NOT believe it. Why would Ajak send Ikaris with her? Although she never blatantly stated her distaste for him, Hera made sure to make it perfectly clear to the other Eternals.

"Why Ikaris? I'm sure Makkari and I could take care of it. Or maybe even Druig could accompany me? I could take care of the Deviant and he could do crowd control–" Hera tried, but Ajak only shook her head. She heard Phastos snicker from across the room, and she resisted the urge to trap him in a force field.

"No, you and Ikaris must go. The others are needed here. You two will be fine," she smiled, turning to walk back towards Phastos. "You leave in the morning."

Hera knew that was the end of the conversation. She frowned but argued no further. Instead, she turned on her heel and walked out of the laboratory, making her way towards the Domo's exit.

Surprisingly, Druig was still standing right where she had left him. He grinned at her, nodding his head in greeting. She couldn't help it; a smile crept onto her face as she approached him.

"What are you still doing here? I thought you'd be off brooding by now." She joked.

He placed a hand where his heart would be, feigning hurt. "Oh, lovely Hera, you wound me." She rolled her eyes, playfully punching his arm, causing him to chuckle.

"I was curious to know what Ajak wanted." He said truthfully, clasping his hands in front of him. Hera sighed, crossing her arms and glancing towards the Domo.

"Ikaris and I are to go to a neighboring village in the morning. Ajak said there have been rumors of Deviants there."

Druig's eyebrows raised, eyes widening slightly. "Just the two of you? What about the others?"

Hera shook her head. "They aren't coming. Ajak said they're needed here. It's just me and Ikaris." Hera scowled at the thought. Just her and the poster boy of the Eternals. Great.

She couldn't tell if the look on Druig's face was one of surprise or concern. She guessed it was the former; the team had never split up like this before to fight Deviants. They had always gone together.

Unbeknownst to her, it was the latter.

He cleared his throat, hands falling to his sides. "Well, the village is having a party soon. Care to join me?" His lips quirked up in that signature smirk, and she grinned.

"It would be my pleasure."

Hera loved parties. She loved the music, the happiness, the dancing. Most of all, she loved seeing her family smile and let lose. She watched from beside Druig as Sersi joined in a dance, a big smile on her face.