t h i r t e e n

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:

"help"

HERA CAUGHT UP TO Druig as he neared the edge of the commune

HERA CAUGHT UP TO Druig as he neared the edge of the commune. She slowed her jog to a walk as she fell into step beside him. He didn't speak.

"Druig, can we talk? Please?" Hera asked as they continued walking. Druig was taking them into the woods, and the silence surrounding them was peaceful, if not slightly eerie.

"What happened with you and Ikaris?" He responded, coming to a stop beside a tree. Hera stopped in front of him, frowning. "He left me centuries ago. Didn't say anything or leave a note. Just disappeared."

Druig nodded. He clasped his hands behind his back. "So I was right." Hera scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Don't rub it in."

Druig grinned, eyes sparkling with something Hera couldn't quite place. "I've missed you," he told her, his gaze unwavering. "You know, I didn't mean what I said at Tenochtitlan. You could've come and visited."

"I'm not a mind reader, Druig. I thought you hated me." She replied with narrowed eyes. He nodded. "I guess I was somewhat harsh."

Hera gawked, mouth agape. "Somewhat? Dude, you told me you never wanted to see me again! Excuse me for not wanting to push you."

He chuckled. They fell silent, both looking at one another. Finally, Hera spoke again. "I'm sorry, Druig. I'm sorry for everything. For not trying harder for our friendship; for letting Ikaris blind me. I should've listened to you."

He shook his head. "I was a dick," he told her. "I never should've put you in that position. I was a shitty friend."

"You were looking out for me." Hera shrugged. "I tried to. I cared about you Hera. I still do."

She smiled then. Druig thought she looked radiant. He had certainly missed that smile. Hera found it easy to slip back into the comfort that was her and Druig's friendship. It was like no time had passed.

Just then, screams echoed in the forest. Hera and Druig instantly jerked their heads towards the sound. "It sounds like the commune," Hera said. Without a word, Druig took off back the way they had come. Hera followed, right on his heels.

They came into the clearing of the commune to be met with chaos. Deviants were running about, wrecking houses and injuring civilians. Druig grunted, raising a hand as his eyes glowed golden. A group of men and women instantly followed his commands, running to grab guns wherever they could find them, then assembling into a line. They all took aim at the nearest Deviant, shooting at Druig's command.