s i x t e e n

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:

"emergence"

THE SIX ETERNALS dedicated to stopping the Emergence made their plans with haste

THE SIX ETERNALS dedicated to stopping the Emergence made their plans with haste. They were running out of time, and they had little to no room for error. Everything had to go smoothly, or else Earth would face the consequences.

Sersi, Druig, Makkari, and Hera were to disembark the Domo on the shores of the volcanic island. Thena's job was to distract Ikaris for as long as she could. Phastos was going to stay in his lab, and no one blamed him. He had a family, and this was dangerous.

The volcano began to erupt, fiery lava bursting from its mouth as the chosen Eternals descended. They landed gently on the sands of the island, and Hera's eyes widened at the sight before them.

"Hope this works," she muttered to herself. "It will," Druig chimed, placing a steadying hand on her shoulder. She looked at him sheepishly. "You weren't meant to hear that." He shrugged. "I'm not meant to hear lots of things."

"Ready, everyone?" Sersi asked, a hint of worry in her tone. The other three Eternals nodded. Hera wasn't quite sure what was going to happen, but she hoped it would be quick. Ikaris and Sprite were nowhere to be found. Assuming that Thena was currently distracting Ikaris, as soon as the Uni-Mind started, he would realize what was happening.

Hera inhaled deeply as she watched Druig close his eyes. When he opened them seconds later, they were golden and glowing, like they were when he used his powers. Except, this wasn't exactly the same. As soon as Druig opened his eyes, each Eternal around him lifted from the ground. Their palms all faced upwards, eyes closed; golden symbols curved and coiled around their bodies and between the four.

Although she couldn't see what was happening, Hera could hear the loudness of the volcano's eruption slowly cease. She sighed in relief, a grin forming on her mouth. But that grin quickly disappeared as she was suddenly lifted from the trance, falling to the group in a heap. The volcano's sounds resumed, and the Earth shook slightly beneath her. Her eyes shot open and she quickly stood. She was not surprised to see Ikaris floating before them.

He had knocked Druig to the ground and was standing above him, eyebrows furrowed and a snarl on his face. Hera began to move forward to interfere– to do something– but everything was suddenly moving too fast.

"I should've done this five centuries ago," Ikaris spat, reaching down and grasping Druig by the collar of his suit. Hera's eyes widened in horror, a hand shooting out to reach for him. Her eyes found his, and she thought she saw a flash of terror before it was quickly replaced with one of reassurance.

Hera had a sinking feeling in her gut at what was about to happen. Mouth dropping open in a desperate plea, she stepped forward, but Ikaris was already in the air again with Druig in tow.