f i v e

CHAPTER FIVE:

"forgive me"

"WHAT HAPPENED?" Ajak said, voice full of concern

"WHAT HAPPENED?" Ajak said, voice full of concern. Druig guided Hera into Phastos' laboratory, his arm still slung over her shoulders. Makkari followed close behind.

"More Deviants than we were expecting," Hera let out a weak chuckle, and then a groan as Ajak placed a hand on her broken arm to examine it. "One of them tossed me and I landed on my arm wrong."

Ajak looked at her, knowingness in her eyes. Hera knew that Ajak knew she was lying, but thankfully, the older woman didn't say anything. Instead, her hands lit up as she moved them over Hera's injured arm, healing it completely.

"You shouldn't have sent them alone. Thena, Gilgamesh, and Makkari should've been there." Druig said, glaring at Ajak as she retracted her hands from Hera's arm.

"Druig," Hera murmured, glancing up at him. "Leave it alone."

"No, I won't leave it alone. That was reckless– we've always fought Deviants together. The one time we don't and look what happens. She could've been killed!"

Ajak stood there, letting his rage wash over her. Hera thought she saw the briefest flash of regret in Ajak's eyes. "What's done is done," Ajak said. "Hera is fine now. That is all that matters."

Druig scoffed, dropping his arm from Hera's shoulders and stalking out of the room. Hera grimaced, watching him go for a moment before deciding to follow him.

"Druig," she called, jogging into the hall to catch up. "Wait, please." His fast pace slowed, but only slightly. She caught up to him a moment later, brows scrunched together in concern. "What's gotten into you?" She asked gently.

Druig inhaled sharply, turning into his room. Hera followed without hesitation. "What's gotten into me? You could've been killed, Hera. How are you not angry about this?" He asked, voice raising as he spoke.

Hera frowned. "But I wasn't. I don't know why you're so upset. We get hurt all the time; this is nothing new. Ajak healed me, and I'm good as new. I'm okay." She reassured him, but he just shook his head.

Silence filled the room for a beat, then two. Hera didn't know what else to say. Druig had never been so worked up over team injuries– well, except for when Makkari was injured– but that was different. They were thick as thieves, best friends since they had touched down on this planet.

"You're my friend, Hera." Druig said quietly, eyes meeting hers. "I don't want you hurt. If something bad happened, I would never see that beautiful face again."