s e v e n

CHAPTER SEVEN:

"falling apart"

DRUIG WATCHED HERA walk away, his expression unreadable

DRUIG WATCHED HERA walk away, his expression unreadable. His eyes followed her until she slipped behind a wall, Ikaris not far behind her. He grimaced and turned back to Makkari, who had taken Hera's abandoned seat.

"You should follow her." Makkari told him, eyebrows furrowed in determination. Druig shook his head. "I doubt she wants to talk to me right now. Anyways, seems like Ikaris has things covered."

Makkari shook her head fiercely, jabbing a thumb over her shoulder in the direction Hera had disappeared. "You two and your stubbornness. Go after her before I sonic boom you into the next century."

Druig rolled his eyes, already pushing himself up from the bench. "Alright, alright. But I'm only doing this for you," he told her, to which she narrowed her eyes. "You're doing this because you like her. You just need a push, and I am more than happy to push."

Druig chuckled dryly, "Of course you are." Makkari lifted her chin at him, eyeing him as if daring him to disobey. "Fine, alright. You're scary sometimes."

She grinned, giving him a thumbs up. He walked past her and towards where Hera had disappeared. She was most likely going back to the Domo– he knew she liked to hide in her room when she was upset.

As he left, the night became quieter and quieter. The voices of the townspeople and his fellow Eternals slowly faded until all he could hear were his boots in the sand.

"...thinks you're using me." He heard quietly, eyes focusing in the night to see two figures up ahead. He instantly recognized one as Hera, and knew the other had to be Ikaris.

Druig grimaced as his pace slowed to a halt. Should he interrupt, or should he stay here and listen? Or should he just leave altogether? I'm not leaving, he told himself, creeping over to a nearby building and concealing himself behind a wall. He could still hear their voices and see them somewhat clearly from his new hiding place.

"You were right beside her, Hera. I was looking at you." Ikaris' voice carried over the wind blowing through the village. Druig's fists clenched.

"I love you, Hera."

That sentence caused Druig's blood to boil. "Don't fall for this Hera. Please." He muttered to himself, unconsciously shuffling forward. As much as he wanted to intervene– to go out there and punch Ikaris in the jaw– he knew he shouldn't. Hera was already angry enough at him, and he didn't know what she would do if he interrupted.

So instead of causing a scene, he sat there silently as he watched his closest friend kiss the man he couldn't stand.

Druig inhaled sharply, numerous emotions washing over him. Anger, disappointment, jealousy, resentment. They consumed him as he watched the pair kiss once more. Obviously Hera was enjoying herself.

After they broke away from each other for the second time, Druig stood up straight and turned to leave. He didn't want to see anymore of this– didn't want to watch Hera make this mistake.

"Druig?"

Hera's voice rang out. Druig stopped, his back turned to her. "What are you doing?" She asked. He could hear her walking towards him, the telltale sound of boots crunching sand.

"I was looking for you." He said as he turned to face her. She had stopped a few feet away, her arms crossed over her chest and confusion on her face. Ikaris was still standing where she had left him. "Guess I found you."

He made to walk away again, but she sprang forward and wrapped a hand around his upper arm, pulling him back. He turned to face her once more, eyes glancing down at her hand. "Are you upset?" She asked quietly.

"Why would I be upset?" He laughed dryly, face tilted down towards hers. "I don't care what you do, Hera. I'm not your keeper."

"But you are my friend." She replied, a frown forming on her mouth. "Am I?" He said, eyes darkening as he looked at her. His anger was boiling, dangerously close to spilling over.

"Friends look out for each other, don't they? Tell each other who to watch out for? Friends listen to each other. Tell me, Hera, if we're friends, have you done any of that? Listened to anything I told you today, or ever, about him?" Druig responded, coldness in his tone.

Her frown deepened, her grip on him slackening. "I do listen to you Druig, but Ikaris isn't what you say–"

He cut her off with a loud, humorless laugh. "Oh, that's rich. You've hated him since we got here, Hera. It's been a few hundred years, and you've hated him for all of it! And now you're in love with him? Just because he told you he wanted to learn about the humans?"

She fell silent for a beat, hurt in her eyes. He felt bad for hurting her, and he knew that this argument might end their friendship, but he had to try to get through to her. Even if it pushed her away.

"Friends also support each other, Druig." Her voice was barely above a whisper as she spoke to him. "I don't want to be hateful or angry anymore. He said he wants to change. He deserves the benefit of the doubt. Everyone does."

Druig's eyes narrowed. "I won't watch you fall for this, Hera. He's going to break your heart. So if you want to go back to him, then go. But know that I will not be here for you if you do."

They watched each other silently– him wishing she would stay with him, her mulling over his ultimatum. Her hand fell from his arm as she took a step back.

"Goodbye, Druig."

She looked utterly defeated as she took another step back, then another. Finally she turned around, her back to him, and walked back to Ikaris. Druig watched her for a moment, hurt bubbling up to replace the anger. How could she choose Ikaris over their friendship? His hands curled into fists as he watched Ikaris and Hera walk away.

A single tear fell to his cheek before he hastily wiped it away, turning on his heel and making his way back to the town center, already regretting everything he had said.