s e v e n t e e n

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:

"the end"

THE REMAINING ETERNALS left the volcanic island in favor of Ajak's now-empty house

THE REMAINING ETERNALS left the volcanic island in favor of Ajak's now-empty house. Phastos' family met them there. At first, there hadn't been much talking. Everyone was exhausted– the fight and losing three of the group had been draining.

But now they talked and laughed in earnest; Makkari, Druig, and Hera were stuffed onto Ajak's couch, each with a plate of food in hand. Phastos and his husband sat on the opposite sofa. Their son was in the kitchen with Thena. Sersi and Sprite were outside.

After what they had said to each other on the island, Druig and Hera were inseparable. Well, more so than they already were. Makkari caught them sharing a kiss aboard the Domo and teased them endlessly about it. Hera's face had turned a bright pink. Druig just chuckled.

They had been quick to label themselves a couple. Druig hadn't wanted to wait, and Hera didn't either. Although she was wary of dating another Eternal– especially with how her last relationship went– she was glad to be with him. He had always looked out for her, even when she wouldn't listen. She knew that he had her best interests at heart. She trusted him completely– and he did too.

Now they were shoulder to shoulder, shoveling food into their mouths. "This is delicious," Druig said through a mouthful. Phastos' husband looked at him with wide eyes. "Thanks."

Just then, Sersi re-entered the house. "The ship is ready when you are." She told the three on the couch. They nodded, each standing. Druig continued to eat right until he threw his plate into the trash. Hera rolled her eyes as they collected Thena from the kitchen, then made their way outside.

The Domo had been left nearby. Phastos had cloaked the ship so no one would accidentally stumble upon it. Now, he followed the group from the house, hands moving as he lifted the cloaking. The ship quickly came into view– good as new. Phastos had been quick to repair the Domo after the damage Ikaris had inflicted upon it.

"Wow!" His son exhaled, eyes wide in excitement and wonder. Hera grinned, looking down at the boy. "Wanna go for a ride?"

"Absolutely not," Phastos interjected while his son frowned. Hera laughed as Phastos muttered something along the lines of "we are never letting any of them babysit," to his husband.

"I'm going to miss you all," Sersi told them. She engulfed each of them in a hug– including Thena. Hera held Sersi tightly, sad to leave her friend once more, but anxious to start this new adventure. At first, she hadn't wanted to leave Earth. But after a long discussion with Druig, she realized how important this was– plus he was passionate about it, and she loved seeing that.

Sprite looked at the four leaving, but didn't make any moves to say goodbye. Perhaps she knew that they were all ones to hold a grudge, and no hug would be given. Or perhaps she just didn't care to say goodbye. Either way, Hera gave her a small wave to stay civil. She then hugged Phastos tightly, waved a goodbye to his husband and son, and began the trek towards the ship with the others behind her.

Once situated aboard the Domo, Hera had retreated to her quarters for some alone time. She had approximately five minutes to herself until Druig barged in without a knock. "Can I join you?" He asked, looking down at her from the side of her bed.

She rolled over to face him, eyes dropping with exhaustion. Everything that had happened within the last week was finally catching up to her. Too tired to speak, she nodded and slid over to give him room. Druig lifted the comforter and slid into bed behind her. One of his arms instantly draped itself over her side, pulling her into him as he got comfortable.

Silence fell over them. Hera began to drift off to sleep before Druig's voice caused her to stir.

"Do you miss him?"

Her eyes shot open, head tilting towards his. He was watching her closely. She shrugged as best she could in her position. "Yes, but no. I loved him. We were together for a long time– but then he left and... betrayed us." She inhaled deeply before continuing. "I miss the good times. Perhaps I can forgive what he did over time."

"You've always been one to hold a grudge," Druig replied, to which she chuckled. "Guilty as charged."

She relaxed once more, snuggling into his arms. He placed a kiss to her hair, his breath warm on her neck as he settled behind her.

"Maybe if I would've listened to you so long ago, then we would've had this sooner." She admitted to him, fighting with sleep.

He hummed. "It's okay, my love."

Her eyelids drooped once more, sleep slowly winning the battle. Before she dozed off, she heard him say:

"All we have is time."

the end.