f o u r

CHAPTER FOUR:

"protect me"

THE NEXT DAY came too soon

THE NEXT DAY came too soon. Hera groaned at the sound of a knock on her door. Her room on the Domo was small, but she didn't mind it. She had various artifacts scattered throughout the room in remembrance of each village they had helped. She groggily sat up, rubbing her eyes.

She slipped from her bed, padding over to the door. It slid open smoothly to reveal an already armor-clad Ikaris. She groaned. "We're leaving now?"

He chuckled at that, his arms crossed over his chest. "Yes. I tried to wake you earlier, but I could hear your snores through the wall."

She rolled her eyes and pushed past him into the hallway. "Are you always so chipper in the morning?" She yawned as they made their way to where Hera could suit up.

"Just to get on your nerves. Is it working?" He asked from behind her.

"Yes," she replied shortly, eyes glancing up at the statue of Arishem as they entered the room. "Very much so."

"That was my goal." He replied, watching as she moved to stand in front of one of the symbols on the wall. As she came to a stop, her armor began to form on her body. It was a light yellow that made her stand out from the other Eternals. The suit was outfitted with gold and white accents, and Ikaris thought she looked like the sun.

The pair walked out of the room, silence enveloping them. The only sound that could be heard was the thud of their boots on the floor of the Domo.

"You two off, then?" Druig's voice called after them as he stepped into the hallway from one of the side rooms they had passed.

Ikaris glanced back at him, nodding curtly but not bothering to say goodbye. Hera, on the other hand, turned around completely, grinning at Druig. "Don't miss me too much."

The other Eternal made his way toward her, eyes twinkling with what looked like mischief. "Oh, you know I can't do that, lovely Hera. You're always in my thoughts."

"And you," she said, poking a finger into his chest as he came to a stop in front of her. "Are a flirt. We'll be back soon. Then you won't just have to think of me." She grinned, winking at him before turning to follow Ikaris.

Druig chuckled. "And you say I'm the flirt!"

She glanced over her should at him with a gleam in her eyes. "You are!"

On the way to the village, Hera and Ikaris barely spoke. She felt awkward, being stuck with him. They had never been alone together for so long before.

Hera cleared her throat, kicking a rock on the path and watching it roll. Ikaris looked straight ahead.

"How are you and Sersi?" She asked, trying to make small talk. Ikaris glanced at her, face expressionless. "There's not much to talk about."