Chapter 21: How to kiss

Beatrice pov:

"Ow ow ow! Tobias that hurts!" I say as he presses down on my injuries, dictating whether anything is broken. "Tris just lay still for a second." He says he places his hand on my ribs and I suck in a breath, but not from pain, just his simple touch affects me. I look up at from him to see that he gives it no notice. "Your ribs will bruise a bit, but they aren't broken. Your face, well, uh. Not that you look bad... Well you look bad." He says ditching the sugar- coating he was attempting. He holds up a mirror and I see bruises forming along my cheek. My eye is slightly blue, but nothing too noticeable. My lip is swollen and my nose has dried up blood under it.

"Well, nothing a little makeup can't fix." I say getting up from my bed. After I passed out, Tobias brought me here to clean me up. "Woah woah woah. You shouldn't get up. You need to rest before the field trip." Tobias says placing his hand across my shoulders preventing me from getting up. I push his hand away and stand up. "Ya, well that's not going to happen right now. I have things to do and a couple of bruised ribs isn't going to stop me."

I walk into my bathroom while I can practically feel him rolling his eyes at me. I wash the blood off of my face with a wet rag, then apply liquid foundation and concealer. Thank God for Christina. She made learn how to apply make-up so that I can wear it everyday, but I rarely do. Maybe once every two weeks, and when I do, I only wear concealer and mascara.

"Tris, why do you have to use makeup if it's only you and I? Just do later." Tobias whines. "No way! My parents are going to to be home soon and there is no way they are finding out I got beat up! They'll just pity me." I say continuing on with the makeup, making sure there are no traces of any bruises. He sighs and says "Here, I got your glasses for you." He holds them out and take them from him, pushing them up my nose. "Thanks. So, are we being marked as absent, because that will look bad in my record." I say slightly smiling through my seriousness. He laughs then tells me "I called the school when you were still out of it." I smile and walk back into my room landing back on my bed. He lands next to me.

I look back over at him to find that he is already looking at me. "I'm sorry this happened to you Tris. I should have been there sooner. I could have followed you as soon as you ran-"

"Tobias. Stop. Don't do that to yourself. I'm okay. We're okay. I know nothing else is, but we are." He looks at me not saying anything. For this one time, I can't read what is in his eyes, but I believe it's not something you see, but feel.

"Tris. Do you ever wonder what life would be like for us, if we didn't become friends." I look back up at the ceiling pondering his question. "Ya, I would be... Empty. You. You gave me... Something to care about. Something worth caring about I mean. Rather than school. School would and could never fill a void, only friendship can." I say.

I sit up and he sits up next to me so now we are sitting on the edge of my bed. Tobias smiles softly, but it quickly faded back to seriousness. He brushes a piece of hair that had fallen in front of my face, back behind my ear, but doesn't pull his hand away.

I look up expecting to meet eyes, only to see they are on my lips. Lips? He made a promise to himself, that he would only kiss the girl he wants to marry one day, but that couldn't be me. I'm not enough, there is no way. Yet, as I have been stuck in my never ending thoughts, he had steadily pulled my face forward.

My heart starts racing when I see his eyes flicker shut and him turning his head. I mimic his movements. What do I do? I don't know how to kiss! He can't kiss me! There is no possible he wants to marry me. Someone help!

And thank God for that someone. Right as we were about to kiss, my phone started ringing. We jump apart and I bite my lip looking down. Tobias clears his throat and scratches behind his neck awkwardly. Well, there is another almost kiss to add to the list. I look down at my phone to see Christina calling. I take a deep breath and answer.

Tris: Hello?

Christina: WHERE ARE YOU? I HEARD PETER BEAT YOU UP? ARE YOU OKAY?! PETER IS IN THE INFIRMARY, SOMEONE BEAT HIM UP AFTER WHAT HE DID TO YOU!!!!

Tris: Christina, calm down. I'm okay. Just a little sore, I'm at my house. Four took me home.

Christina: Awww did he kiss you all better?!

Tris: No, shut up. I'm mad at you.

Christina: oh come one Tris. You're not mad. Forgive me?

Tris: Ugh fine. Only because I kind of have to.

Christina: Okay, school just got out so I'm on my way over there! See Ya!

I roll my eyes, even though she can't see.

"What did she want?" Tobias asks.
"Uh, she's coming over here." I say awkwardly. There is a lot of uncomfortable tension right now. "Oh, uh, well I better go. See ya." He quickly grabs his things and speeds out of the room, not giving me a kiss on the forehead, a hug, or anything.

Man I screwed up big time.

Time skip to Tuesday

Please don't let things be awkward. Please, please, please, please!

I silently pray this as I approach my locker to retrieve my books for History.

"Hey Trissy" Tobias says energetically. Thank God.
"Hey Four." I smile.
"How are you feeling?" He asks slightly as his hand skims lightly over the bruises on my face. They are covered, yet he still knows where they are. "I'm feeling fine. The bruises on my face are starting to fade, as for my ribs, it only hurts when I breathe" I say and we both laugh a bit.

"But in all seriousness, do you think I will be feeling better before the trip on Thursday?" I ask him.
"Ya you should be, your injuries were pretty minor." He says and I nod.
"Well we should probably get to class." I say. He nods and we close our lockers.

This is why he's awesome.

Hey initiates! You've gotta love Fourtris. And if you haven't noticed, I love teasing ;). It makes things more exciting. And I'm sure you guys got excited when you saw the title, and it honestly was a bit misleading, so I apologize, but like I said, I like teasing!

QOTD: what is your favorite book quote?

My answer: Honestly that's impossible, but I love the whole infinity quote from John Green. It's beautiful, but long and I don't really want to type it all out right now. Lol

Remember to be eaton that cake!