Chapter 3: Frenemies

Beatrice pov:
Tuesday morning

"Now, Four, Beatrice. Do you know why you are here this morning?" Principal Reyes asks. I give Four a glare from the side of my eye. I can also see him doing the same to me. When neither of us answer she rolls her eyes and says "well look at yourselves!" I look at Four then myself. I scrape some of the mud off of my legs and Four just chuckles and says "I still have no clue!"
"Well Ms. Prior, it looks like you're friend Four over here has become brain dead, why don't you read this teachers note nice and slowly so he can understand." Principal Reyes says holding up a note as Four growls in anger. I squint my eyes at the note. "I can't read it." I say. "Well why can't you?" She asks. "Well where do I even start?"

Earlier that day

I walk into my Fourth period history class and go to the back corner where my desk is. Once again I am the first in the class room, but unfortunately Four came in right after me.
"What's up Tris!" He says as he sits down next to me. "When are you going to understand that my name is Beatrice?" I say annoyed.
"When you understand why I call you Tris." I look over at him and narrow my eyes as I observe him. I look away and push my glasses up my nose.
"Plus friends give each other nicknames." He says. I snap my head toward him and growl "We are not friends."
"Now why is that? Why don't you want friends?" He surprisingly snaps back at me. The teacher walks in and asks for all of our attention. I hadn't even noticed that everyone has already come in. "For the next few weeks, we will be learning survival skills. This year I really want you to understand what it was like for these historical people we will be learning about. So today, we will be going outside and are going to go to a large patch of mud and dirt on the campus, and we will be searching and digging for worms that we will be using for fishing tomorrow." The whole class groans at the mention of digging for worms, but the idea of it doesn't really bother me. "Class! Quiet down, I'm not finished. Now we will also be doing a little something fun before we dig for worms. You will get to have a partner-" the whole class cheers at this except for me. I don't like having partners, their whole determination on the project will not be as strong as mine, so they will only mess up what I am doing. "That I will choose." The whole class groans again. "As I was saying, you will have a partner, and the first partners that can make their fire without a match or lighter, will not have to dig for their worms, but will be given store-bought worms and will be have 10 extra points added to their overall final grade this year." My eyes widen I have to win this. I have to be the first to build a fire.
"Now, your partner will be the person I the seat next to you." My eyes widen.
I glare at Four as he waves at me and smiles sarcastically.

Once we get outside to the mud pit, the teacher counts down from ten and then we start trying to build a fire. "Okay listen up! I want this 10 extra points Four, I will do anything to get them!" I say as I gather some wood up in a pile and start rubbing two sticks together.

As I am doing this my glasses slip off
my face and onto the ground, so I push them out of the way. "You would do anything?" He asks. "Yes anything" I say focusing on what's in front of me.

"Okay." Then I hear a snap and when I look over I see that he broke my glasses in half and is using them to magnify the light from the sun onto the wood, and a little flame immediately grows.

"Beatrice and Four win!" The class groans and I widen my eyes at the sight of my broken glasses. "You broke my glasses!" I scream at him. "You said you would do anything! Don't you have another pair?" He says throwing my words back at me. Anger boils inside of me and pick up a chunk of mud and throw it at him. His eyes widen and he picks up mud and smashes it onto my head. With a grunt, I push him into the mud pit, but my plan backfires when he pulls me in with him. We throw mud at each other for what feels like hours until I finally hear the teacher scream to go to the principals office. I take a note from her that says what we did, and I stomp to the principals office with Four at my side.