Chapter 4: A Special Bond

I sat there face to face with an old lady, not really knowing what to do but stare. Taking notice that I was still there she stared at the clock that stated 11:52.

"You can go get some lunch, its a bit early though so the lunch ladies might be setting up still."

Nodding my head, I was considering asking for a map, just for the humor of it. "Can you give me directions?"

"Oh, sorry!- uh, its not too far, its only down the hall."

"Ok thank you, have a good day!"

"You too sweetie!"

I exited the office, and looked for the cafeteria for a few minutes. Ugh, screw this. I just better hurry up before the bell rings. I made my way up the stairs, to the second floor, then up to the third floor, and finally to the fourth floor, which was the roof. Shit! I forgot my damn backpack! I can probably just get it after school.. Hopefully.
As I started pushing the heavy weighted doors I could feel an instant breeze to my face, and body. It was a pretty big area, and I initially thought it'd be smaller.
So I walked around the gated area, that also had a roof? On top of a roof? A roof with a roof, huh.. Probably for suicidal prevention. If not then that's just weird. I walked to the far left corner of the roof, and sat down watching the peaceful birds fly by, the cars drive at the bottom of the school, and the clouds in the sky move. However, it wasn't sunny, anymore, it was gloomy and cloudy. I checked the weather forecast that stated at 1:00 There's a 69% chance of rain. At least I brought a hoodie. I thought sliding my phone back into my pocket, as the smooth case was removed from my grasp.
I sat down and stared at the scenery around me, but it all retraced back to my dad. My dad is in the hospital battling cancer, and its very scary. I wish he could come outside again, he always like when the weather was like this. I pulled my knees to my chest, and blinked, as I could feel a tear slide down my cheek. The thought of losing him made my day worse. I'd never imagine, what my life would be like without him.
Then startling me the bell rang. I guess lunch just started.. 12:10.. I'll keep that in mind. I thought glancing at my phone. Then once again retracing my thoughts, I could feel my lips trembling, as I felt my throat soring from the tears I was holding back. You are the reason I'm still hanging on. Another tear slid down my cheek as I sniffled, a small cry escaped my mouth. I hope I can spend another day with you dad.. You can't leave mom and I.. We can't live without you. I put down my head and cried, it was nearly raining onto my jeans.
I lifted up my head and stared at the cars. I wiped my tears, leaving my eyes red and puffy. I sniffled, now having a runny nose.
Then I heard the door open. Pretending I didn't, I continued staring into the distance. Due to the silence on the roof footsteps were noticeably loud, and I could hear them getting closer to me.

"Hey." A familiar soft voice spoke to me, and I saw in the corner of my that they were sitting next to me. "Listen, don't think I'm weird or anything, but I just seem to keep running into you. I always sit here at lunch, and I guess you do too! You can always sit here with me if you want, I don't really have friends."
Not knowing if I should respond or stay quiet I just glanced at him, then back at the cars. "It's ok, you don't need to talk. Its honestly just feels nice to talk someone anyway." He said staring into the distance.
His hand was placed to my shoulder, "did you get lunch?"

"No," I said chuckling, "I got lost on my way there, so I just ditched lunch and heard there was a roof, so I just came here."

"Oh, yeah this school is confusing, I mean not until you get used to it, then you sort of know your way around. I guess my tour and Thursday will be helpful."

"Yeah it would, I got lost on the way to the bathroom!" I said breaking into a brief laugh.

"Ha! That's ok, I think everyone's first day was like that. I mean, or at least mine was."