Chapter 7: Our Late Night Trip

I was shocked for a second or two, realizing that Raechel might be into someone.. Else.
She'd always politely decline my offers of a date, but she just blew up on me right now.

"Shit! Ok!" I said responding to her offending words.

She opened her mouth as if she was gonna say something, but it soon closed as she re-thought what she was gonna say.
I walked back to the register as I took notice that a little family of customers walked in. I slumped and rested my body on the hip high counter and sighed.

Rachel Pov

I was tired of Jackson, I always wished he'd just leave me alone and respect my answer of, No. No I don't want to date you.
Then he pushed it. He crossed the line where my limit usually wasn't.
I snapped on him, and realized what my mom said was right, when he snapped back.
I glared at him and opened my mouth prepared to speak, to say something more insulting. Then I quickly shut it as I knew it wasn't such a great idea to talk back.
He walked back to the register, and I started acting like I was doing something as a small family of 4 walked in.
Usually I'd be restocking games, or cleaning the store, but not a lot of people were coming in today, and nothing fit the scene better than awkward silence.

It was now dark out, and my shift had just finished. I was inside the store trying to get a ride from literally anybody else except my mom. I'd look outside and get slightly creeped out from the scene of it being dark, moist, and tall creepy post lights everywhere with an empty parking lot due to the closed store.
I hesitatingly looked at my phone and kept staring. The only contacts I had was my mom, dad, boss, and.. Thomas.

I mean.. I just met him today, and mom would be pretty pissed.

I tapped on his contact and pressed the call button.
It rang.. And rang, and rang. No answer.
And right when I was about to call my mom, my ringtone started chiming. I stared at it for a second, do I answer it..?
I tapped the green pick up button and swiped up.
Hello? A soft comforting voice spoke. I spontaneously giggled, "Hello? This is Thomas right?"
Yes, who is this?
"Um, it's Raechel. Raechel from school."
Oh! Hello..! What happened are you ok? Why're you calling?
"Uh, yeah I'm ok. I was just wondering if you can give me a ride home, no one is really available.." It was silent for a moment, and I sensed that he really didn't want to.
"Y-You know what? I-I can find another ride!-"
Well actually, if you you need to I can walk you home! I mean, I don't have a car or anything so.. What do you say? I just want you to get home safe!
"Uh y-yeah! Actually that'd be great..!"
Really?
"Yes!"
Alright then, I'll be there as soon as I can. See you soon!
"Alright then. Thank you so much! It really means a lot!"
Yeah! No problem. I'll be there as fast as I can!
"Alright bye." I said as he hung up the phone.
I sat there just as Thomas did earlier that day. And I thought about my mom. I felt guilty for the fight earlier that day, because I always fail to realize people die in a blink of an eye, a snap of a finger, and every breath you take.
Its pretty weird to think about, but its true. And my mother is someone I can't lose. But our relationship is just growing to be toxic, and I feel like its all because of me.
Time passed of staring at the clock.

"Rachel its been almost 20 minutes after your shift. When are you going home?"

"Well someone's supposed to come walk me home. If there not here within 5 more minutes I'll just start walking home."

"Ok.. But be careful." I replied with a simply nod, knowing that I was actually terrified to walk home.
Just a few seconds after that conversation a light knock was beard coming from the door.
I stood up and saw Thomas, he just smiled and waved at me. "Alright, bye Jess! Can you lock it again after I leave?" I said asking at the night shift girl.