Ariana Isabelle Caliente

"CONGRATULAZIONI!"  was painted on a large six feet banner hanging between the two main buildings in the courtyard and a dozen people were scattered around preparing for the graduation celebration. 

I was in my room and looked out the window with a soft smile, we had gotten back from the graduation ceremony less than an hour ago and I'd gone up to take a shower while my parents put everyone else to work. I had told them I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, but of course they would hear nothing of it, it wasn't every day that your only child graduated law-school and they wanted to express just how proud they were with a big event, they'd even invited the entire family and the rest of the neighborhood. 

Pulling on a blue sundress I'd bought the other day I slipped on a pair of black flats and fluffed up my fiery red hair in the mirror before applying a soft layer of make-up and deeming myself ready to celebrate. I had plans to go out with the rest of my class later tonight, but right now it was all about spending time with my family and I wanted my parents to know just how grateful I was for everything they'd ever done for me. 

"Ah, there she is, cugina, congratulations" my cousin Tony grinned and wrapped me in his arms, and let me tell you, Tony is built like a freaking bear, it's hard to breathe when he hugs you. 
"Thanks Tony, and thanks for coming, I know you're busy" I told him when he finally let me go again and he placed a kiss on the top of my head.
"I wouldn't miss it," he promised and I smiled up at him. Tony and his brother Carlo was more like my brothers then my cousins, when I was a teen they had both been overprotective pricks who'd chased away every guy that showed any interest in me and I had been so pissed at one point I threatened to cut off their balls and serve them to the dogs for dinner. There's a lot of italian fire in my blood and I'm proud of my heritage.
"Where's Carlo and aunt Maria?" my uncle died when the boys were still just kids and my aunt Maria had raised them with the help of my parents for the past twenty five years.
"Carlo went to the restaurant to get a couple bottles of wine and mamma is helping your mom with the food." He shrugged and lifted his bottle of Corona to his lips and took a long swig.
"There's a lot of people here" I commented and looked around, the courtyard was filled with both familiar and unknown faces, my parents really had invited the entire neighbourhood for this.
"Yeah, I think uncle Gio invited everyone in little Italy" Tony chuckled and I couldn't help but laugh along with him, that sounded like my dad alright.

"Speaking off, where is my dad?" We both looked around trying to spot him but he was nowhere to be found and I figured he was probably helping mom in the kitchen.
"Maybe he went with Carlo, he's bringing a lot of wine" he said and I rolled my eyes, so this was going to be one of those celebrations. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing more fun that drinking with italians, but if they get a little too much in their system, the men especially, testosterone tends to rise to an alltime high and fists start swinging.
"Where's Letty, you did bring her, right?" Letty was Tony's girlfriend, a tough girl with an attitude who wasn't afraid to speak her mind and I absolutely loved her. My aunt hadn't been too happy when Tony first brought her home, she expected both her boys to find a nice quiet italian girl and the first girl Tony ever got serious with was a loud freespoken spanish chica who liked getting her hands dirty fixing up cars. 
"Think she's in the kitchen too, all the women are in the kitchen" he said with a smug expression and I smacked him upside the head. 
"That better not be some chauvinist crap I'm hearing" I warned and he rubbed the back of his head and scowled at me. 
"Cool your blood woman, don't get your panties in a twist" he muttered and I narrowed my eyes at him. 
"Whatever, go help your mom carry the food" I told him and pointed to the door where my aunt was carrying a heavy tray of different asortments of food. My parents had really gone all out on this one, the last time we had any kind of celebration of this kind was my eighteenth birthday and that was six years ago.