Giving in

My mind couldn't stop replying the images of Luca beating Adrian to a bloody pulp. Even in the midst of watching Mari finish opening her presents, it was all I could think about. 

Luca hadn't let me out of his sight since we rejoined the party, he was being subtle about it, but I knew there was no escaping him now. I could forget about my dinner with Matt tonight, I was lucky if Luca didn't call of the entire arrangement right now, and there was no way in hell he'd let me go on a date after the stunt I pulled. I'd been acting like a child, lashing out with the intent of provoking, not thinking through the consequences. Poor Adrian, I just hoped Luca had been decent enough to have his men take him to the hospital. 

"A princess dress! Mommy look!" Marisol's excited voice broke into my thoughts and I realized she'd opened my present. The dress was pink with a large fluffy skirt and padded shoulders, white lace straps and fake pearls spread out in classic cinderella pattern, Marisol had pointed it out herself the last time I was shopping with her and Lindsay. 

"Wow baby, it's beautiful. Have you thanked Ana?" Mari shook her head violently, her hair flying every which way and I laughed as she climbed off her chair and ran around the table, heading straight for me. 

"Thank you, aunt Ana," Smiling I picked her up and balanced her on my hip, she was light as a feather, the cases of wine in my parents restaurant weighed more than her.

"You are very welcome, sweetheart. Did you like it?" She nodded her head with enthusiasm, a brilliant smile the same as her mothers, spread from ear to ear. 

"I can be a real princess now!" Laughing, I couldn't help myself when I kissed her cheek, she was so adorable and so innocent. It made me wonder if I'd ever been like that, and when had it all gone wrong? 

Mari wasn't a patient girl, she didn't stay calm in my arms for long, so after another kiss to her cheek I put her back down on her own two feet. Standing back with folded arms, I smiled at Lindsay across the table and she gazed at Luca before giving me a questioning look. A subtle shake of my head was the only answer I could give her, this was neither the time nor the place. 

                                                                                            ***

When the party was over I grabbed my jacket and purse from the back office, Lindsay had put it back there when we first arrived, so I wouldn't have to worry about my things being stolen. I hadn't really worried to begin with, but she'd insisted so I let her do it. 

Fishing my phone out of my jacket pocket, I was texting Matt when a strong arm slid around my waist from behind. My fingers froze on the dials, my heart beating like a jackhammer inside my chest, and I swallowed before turning around to face him. 

He was still angry, I could see it in his eyes, and the worst part was, I couldn't even blame him for it. I'd been an idiot, and thoughtless and yes, he might have provoked me, but I could have acted like a grown-up instead of reverting back to the seventeen year old girl, I'd been when we first met.

"What are you doing?" There was no trace of anger in his voice, but his eyes didn't lie, and I knew that he was trying to temper his anger for my benefit. 

"I was texting Matt, canceling dinner," Luca's eyes hardened when I mentioned Matt, I felt his fingers twitch against the small of my back, but he didn't say anything. 

Gently untangling myself from his embrace, I shrugged on my coat and grabbed my purse, biting my lip I glanced at him beneath my lashes. He was leaning back against the wall next to the office door, ankles crossed and arms folded, his eyes following my every move.