Truths, comitments and horses

I woke up to the sound of voices murmuring outside my bedroom door. Blinking open my eyes slowly, I turned my head to look at the alarm clock on my nightstand and saw it was just past nine a.m, which meant it was time for me to get up and get ready for my day. 

It was saturday, which meant Luca would be coming to get me soon, so he could take me to where Dmitri had his home, which was incidentally the place where Elena was living at the moment. The Russian Mafiya boss had bought a bunch of horses that was supposed to have arrived for the weekend, and Elena had invited me over to go riding with her. I'd been looking forward to it all week. 

Being with Lena, even though we were both living alternate versions of the New York Underbelly, would hopefully provide me with some much needed normalcy from my crazy every-day life. And, considering my current relationship-issues, maybe she could give me some sound advice in that department while we were at it. 

It had been years since the last time I was on the back of a horse, but I used to love it and was hoping it was going to be just like riding a bike after a long time. As soon as I was up there, held the reigns between my fingers and felt the powerful movements of the animal beneath me, it would all come back to me. 

Before that happened however, there was something else I had to do that I was really not looking forward to, and that was sharing with Luca that I'd told Elena about the overheard phonecall regarding the Villanuevas involvement in her parents murders. It was not going to be a pleasant conversation, and we already had a lot of other issues to work through, this was one we could do without. Still, I'd been the one to do it and it wasn't my information to share, so I had to fezz up to it before it could potentially do any damage. 

Sighing, I threw back the covers, swung my legs over the side of the bed and pushed to my feet. First thing first, I needed a long hot shower, and then I was in need of coffee, and lots of it. 

***

I could feel mama's eyes on my back as I took the steps down from the brownstone and to the pavement where Luca was leaning against the hood of his parked car. He was casually dressed in dark jeans, a dark green poloshirt that fit him to tailored perfection and sunglasses perched on his nose, he looked head-to-toe gorgeous. And I realized in that moment, that this was the first time since our fight that I'd seen him in person, and the impact wasn't something I was prepared for. 

I'd missed him so much, that finally seeing him again, it made my breath catch and heart start pounding inside my chest, as if I was seeing him for the first time. 

He pushed away from the car as my feet hit the paved front walk, and I tipped my head back and smiled at him when he got close. Sliding one arm around my waist, the other slid up my back and into my hair where it fisted, he angled my head and leaned down as I pushed up on my toes, and our lips met in a slow, yet passionate and tender kiss. Neither of us said a word as it ended, he just wrapped both his arms around me, I slid both of mine around his middle and we just hugged each other for what could have been hours. Then I felt his lips on the crown of my head and I closed my eyes as I pressed my face into his chest. I really had missed him, and it was a little scary just how much I loved him. 

Eventually he pulled away a few inches without dropping his arms, and tilted his head down to look at me. 

"Ready for a day of riding?" I smiled and nodded, pressing in closer as I said, "Thank you for taking me." 

"I wouldn't let you go alone," was his instant reply and I felt my lips twitch in response. 

He dropped one arm, slid the other around my waist as he guided me to the passengerseat of his kickass car. This too, looked mean enough that if we were living in a Transformers movie, it would totally be a decepticon, but I didn't mind. As long as it was Megatron or Starscream, it was all good.