Chapter 23

A few weeks later, Reiko was once again sitting in the school's little-known fifth library. Midterms were fast approaching and would be held a few weeks after the party, the silver-haired teen had to take every opportunity she could to study for her exams. Currently, she was sitting next to Haruhi Fujioka, who had asked her to review some math concepts she was struggling with. Between helping Haruhi, finalizing the details for the club's party, and her own studies, it felt like the only thing keeping her going was the instant coffee the club always stocked up on.

     While waiting for Haruhi to finish copying one last equation, Reiko pulled out her cell phone to check the time. She cursed quietly when she saw that their study period had long since ended, and they were already 10 minutes late to club. "Haruhi, we need to get going. Club's already started," she informed as she gathered her things. "I should've been more on top of things," she thought.

     "Seriously? I'm never gonna hear the end of this," the first year groaned.

     "You and me both. Let's go."

     The two girls briskly walked into Music Room 3, where the Host Club conducted most of their activities.

     "You guys finally made it; you're so late," the twins chorused as the girls entered the room.

     As she looked around, Reiko's brow furrowed in confusion. The club room was decorated with palm trees, island flowers, waterfalls, and tropical birds. The room was also incredibly warm, warm enough to make her uniform feel stifling. The boys were all dressed to match their new environment; they had exchanged their uniforms (forgoing their shirts in the process) for colorful and exotic-looking skirts and gold jewelry. Tamaki was the only exception, as he wore a toga-like dress with one sleeve rather than just a skirt.

     "I could be wrong, but my calendar still says it's early spring," Haruhi muttered to Reiko.

     "I don't remember this being on the schedule either," the silver-haired girl commented as she pulled out her phone to check the agenda.

     Tamaki stood up, fluttering a red and gold fan around his face. He pulled Haruhi into his side and gestured towards the glass ceiling as though he were trying to point something out to her. "Huddling under a kotatsu table, fearing the cold is nonsense! And besides, the heating system we have is the best! Gentlemen, don't bundle up with bulky clothing! It may be chilly in early spring out there in the real world, but here at the club we want to surprise our chilly little kittens with a warm and tropical paradise!... Oh yes, we've turned this place into nirvana! A balmy tropical island of everlasting summer!" he exclaimed, twirling around with excitement.

     Reiko merely sighed at the president's dramatic speech; she didn't have the energy to deal with his theatrics. Instead, she quietly reviewed the day's appointment list on her phone to see what the best way to position the hosts was that day.

     When the doors opened for guests, she spent almost twenty minutes directing the girls to their hosts and tending to the requests of the particularly high-maintenance ladies who always seemed dissatisfied with one thing or another. Once the initial rush was over, Reiko fought the urge to collapse in her chair as she sat at Kyoya's table.

     Having noticed her exhaustion as soon as she walked in, the male fixed his secretary a cup of instant coffee. "You seemed surprised upon entering the club today," he pointed out as he set the cup in front of her.

     The teen nodded slightly. "I had forgotten that we'd scheduled the Balinese-theme day for today, so it caught me off guar-" a squeal cut her off, and her attention was immediately drawn to Hikaru and Kaoru's table. Hikaru was holding Kaoru's face gently while staring lovingly into his eyes. The latter, meanwhile, was looking away shyly and blushing causing the girls with them to blush and fawn over them. "They're certainly excited today," she noticed.