Chapter 30

The head maid and butler greeted Reiko at the door when Reiko arrived home after school that day.

     "The master is waiting for you in his study, my lady," the head maid informed her.

     Reiko nodded. "I see... I will go see him after I've changed clothes," she said.

     Adjusting her school bag on her shoulder, Reiko briskly walked through the halls to her rooms. When she entered, she haphazardly tossed the designed bag onto one of the couches in the sitting area before making her way to her closet. She quickly stripped off her uniform and changed into a dress suitable for meeting her father. Glancing at herself in the mirror, the silver-haired teen sighed. Sometimes it was still hard for her to believe that she'd gone from the adopted daughter of a bartender in the city to the daughter of Asia's wealthiest and most powerful investors, but if anyone judged her based on her appearance, they'd think she lived in luxury all her life. After adding a pair of silver earrings to her ensemble, she decided she was presentable enough to see her father and left for his office.

     As always, her father's personal attendant was waiting just outside the door when she approached the room.

     "Is my father available?" she asked.

     The man nodded and knocked on the door. "Mr. Ishikawa, the young lady has arrived.

     The calm but strong voice of Jiro Ishikawa answered from beyond the door. "Yes, send her in."

     The attendant bowed to Reiko respectfully before opening the door for her.

     "You asked to see me father?" she asked as she approached his desk. She remained standing and stared down at him with bright and curious eyes.

     Her father, who had been staring at his computer screen until that moment, leaned back in his chair and smiled at her warmly. "I most certainly did; please sit down Reiko," he said, gesturing to the chair across from him.

     Reiko bowed in thanks and sat down, careful not to wrinkle her dress in any way.

     "There is something I would like to discuss with you... it's about your debut party," he said.

     The silver-haired teen tilted her head. "The party?" she wondered. "The date isn't until the end of the season. I can't imagine something's already gone wrong with the preparations."

     "I was thinking we should move up your debut," he told her.

     "Move the date forward? To when?" she asked.

     "I would like to host it by the end of the next month."

     Reiko pursed her lips. Midterms would be around then, would she have enough time to study for her exams, plan the party, and continue managing the Host Club? "May I ask why you decided this, father?"

     The man nodded. "As you know, you have already met some of my close associates, and they have begun to ask me when you are making an official social debut. They've been rather pressing and frankly, I'm concerned they will leak the information and cause an uncontrolled situation."

     "I see..." she trailed, her mind racing to figure out how to deal with this situation and how to manage her time.

     Knowing the look on his daughter's face, Jiro smiled at her reassuringly. "Do not worry about planning the party. That is something I will be taking care of."

     "Pardon?"

     The man chuckled. "For this event, I will be taking the lead in planning. Naturally, I will ask for your input from time to time." He reached into one of the drawers in his desk and pulled out a folder which he handed to her. "This is the copy of the planning schedule we will be following. I figured you would appreciate knowing all of this in advance."