Chapter 26

The club room had been temporarily transformed into a dressing room for the hosts as they readied themselves for the night's party. Uniforms were strewn everywhere from the boys rushing to put on their suits. Setting up the dance hall had taken longer than anticipated, so they were starting the night behind schedule. Thankfully, the boys had been quick to change, now the only ones still left in the club room were Kyoya and Reiko, as they had been the last to arrive- they'd had to deal with last-minute issues (a missing centerpiece, and someone had put the dessert table in the wrong spot).

     Reiko briskly walked out of her changing room; her heels clicked on the floor as she made her way toward her bag and grabbed the earrings she would be wearing that night. Hearing the back of the earrings click as she put them in, she let the jewelry dangle from her ears and gave herself a once-over in the mirror. The navy-blue cocktail-length dress she'd chosen for the evening had been tailored to fit her perfectly. The sweetheart neckline on the bodice accentuated her neck and chest without making her look trashy, and the layered tulle skirt flared out at her hips and swished around elegantly as she walked. Checking the time on her phone, she cursed quietly; they only had five minutes before the party was scheduled to start. "Kyoya, are you ready? The party will start in a few minutes," she called out to him.

     The silver-haired teen heard the curtain being pushed aside and she turned around to face her classmate. Her eyes widened a fraction of an inch before she brought her expression back to neutrality. Kyoya stood before her in a black tuxedo with a white button-down shirt and a navy-blue vest. The color combination had been completely unintentional, as none of them (save the twins) had coordinated their outfits.

     "You look lovely this evening Reiko," he complimented as he approached her.

     "Why thank you," she said smiling. She looked him up and down for a moment and noticing he was struggling to adjust his tie stepped forward to fix it. "Allow me."

     Kyoya's breath hitched as he felt Reiko's hands brush against his chest. He felt the tie around his collar shift slightly as she adjusted it, her fingers accidentally grazing his neck as she did so. The male couldn't help but stare down at her as she fiddled with his clothing. She looked pretty every day, but tonight she looked exceptionally beautiful. Rare were the days that Reiko put her hair up, but tonight her silvery tresses were twisted into an elegant half-side-do before they tumbled over her shoulder. The dress was plain, but Kyoya felt it suited her better that way; the midnight fabric made her skin appear even brighter than usual and allowed the glitter that had been sprayed onto her skin along with her perfume to catch the light. "Beautiful as always," he thought.

     A moment later, the female was pulling away from him. She nodded approvingly at his appearance. "Now you look perfect. Handsome as always," she commented.

     "Thank you," he said, quickly regaining his composure.

     "It's what I'm here for. We should leave no if you intend to be there on time for Tamaki's opening speech."

     Nodding in agreement, Kyoya offered the lady his arm, which she took gracefully and escorted her to the party.

     "You guys made it," Haruhi commented as Kyoya, and Reiko joined them on stage.

     "Right on time, he's about to start," Hikaru added, nodding towards Tamaki as he approached the center stage.

     Reiko quietly directed the boys and Haruhi to their places before walking off to the wings of the stage to not be seen.

     "It is so good to see you here tonight, my little lambs," Tamaki purred into the microphone. "The Ouran Host Club would like to bid you... welcome."