Chapter 50

Over the next few days, midterms were held and completed without much incidence. Reiko and Kyoya put forth their greatest efforts into doing well on their exams but were secretly preoccupied with the events in their personal lives. The conversation regarding their engagement was to be held the evening midterms concluded and- although neither one would admit it- both of them wanted the conversation to go well.

     "If I never see another exam in my life, it'll be too soon," Hikaru exclaimed as he walked into the club room.

     Haruhi and Kaoru tailed in behind him, "It wasn't that bad Hikaru," the brunette said as she closed the door behind them. They were the last ones to enter as the rest of the hosts had finished their exams long before and were already in the room.

     Reiko who had long since finished her exams and was making the others tea, raised an eyebrow. "Did you have a hard time with the exams?" she asked.

     "He's only like that because he crammed all night for the tests and couldn't remember any of the material," Kaoru snickered. "I didn't think they were too difficult."

     "Yeah, me either," Haruhi added.

     Tamaki, who hadn't been paying much attention until he heard the first year's voice, threw himself on the younger girl and hugged her tightly. "That's because you're so smart Haruhi! Did you miss daddy while you were testing?" he asked.

     "Please let go of me senpai," she deadpanned.

     "Please forgive him Haruhi, he's missed you quite a bit over the past couple of days," Kyoya said as he sipped the tea Reiko had just poured him.

     Immediately Tamaki peeled himself away from the brunette and whipped towards Kyoya. "THAT'S NOT WHY I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT! I WAS SIMPLY WORRIED FOR HARUHI SINCE THE ONLY PEOPLE SHE'S BEEN INTERACTING WITH ARE THOSE SHADY TWINS! IT'S PERFECTLY REASONABLE FOR A FATHER TO BE WORRIED FOR HIS DAUGHTER WHO'S GOT SUCH BAD INFLUENCES AROUND!" he shouted.

     Reiko carefully poured another cup of tea and presented it to the club's president. "Here, Tamaki, why don't you drink this and calm down a little?" she asked in a soothing tone. She guided the blonde to one of the couches and set the teacup in front of him.

     "Who cares about any of that?" Hikaru scoffed. "Tests are over. I say we go out and celebrate!"

     "Celebrate? I don't think that's a bad idea at all Hikaru!" Tamaki exclaimed as he sipped his tea. "We deserve it after all the hard work we put in this week!"

     "Why don't we go to a restaurant and have a celebratory dinner?" Kaoru suggested.

     "I like that idea!" Honey- who had been quietly eating his cake- exclaimed. "What do you think Takashi?"

     "Sure."

     "Then it's settled. Tonight, the members of the Host Club will all have dinner together to celebrate our triumph over our midyear exams!" Tamaki exclaimed.

     "Although the idea sounds lovely, I'm afraid I'll have to decline," Reiko interjected, pouring herself a cup of tea.

     "Aww, you're not coming Rei-chan?" Honey asked.

     "Unfortunately, I have a prior engagement this evening," she explained.

     "I do as well," Kyoya added. "My father has asked me to accompany him to a meeting."

     Tamaki visibly deflated. "Well, I guess if you're both busy, there's nothing we can do."

     "I can't speak for Kyoya, but I certainly wouldn't mind if you went to celebrate without us."