Chapter 12 (Back to School Part 5)

Lincoln looked around the room, getting a feel of the situation. Last time he was in the office, it was when he was being told he would need to go school online. But now he was here and a little nervous about what would happen. Was he being allowed to head back to school in person? A part of him hoped so. Being stuck home was starting to get mind numbing with the occasional outing with his family and the occasional therapist appointment to check up on him.

"Hey Mrs. Johnson. You wanted to see me?" Lincoln asked his former teacher who nodded in return.

Mrs. Johnson had seemingly not gotten any different in terms of looks over the years. While her position in the job had changed from teacher to principal, she still was the same Mrs. Johnson that everyone loved. However, her attitude and feelings towards taking care of the students had changed with everything new that arrived these past few years. While on the outside she still was energetic and quirky, she was much more serious and thoughtful on the inside as she did her best to make sure everything in her school was running accordingly, including attending to her students almost like another mother.

Her looks had not changed much in age aside from a few bags under her eyes, which were not as noticeable as the Loud boy's own but still noticeable. Her hair was let loose, her dark red hair no longer kept in a simple ponytail with the same outfit she loved to wear all those years ago.

"Yes Lincoln, I did. But you don't need to worry about anything. This is just a simple heart to heart. A check up if you will," she said, motioning Lincoln to down by her desk.

"Is that why the camera's are shut off?" Lincoln asked, placing his backpack down and sitting in a chair in front of Mrs. Johnson.

"Oh no. I always have those darn things off. Can't get much work done if you feel like you're being watched, right?"

"Can't argue there. But uh... I assume you have some questions?" Lincoln asked, with Mrs. Johnson nodding in response. "Well alright. Whaddya got?"

Mrs. Johnson dug into her desk and got out a few papers that most likely were from Lincoln's file. While the Loud did his best to keep up with his grades, the sight of them was enough to make him sweat a little. "Don't worry. None of this is bad. I just felt like it would be good to go over some important things in these."

"Well I'd hope it's all good," Lincoln replied, giving a nervous chuckle. "So what is there to talk about?"

"Well..."

Mrs. Johnson paused before stuffing the files away.

"Alright. Your grades are doing well. I have questions about everything else. Like, how are things at home? Any health issues? Stuff like that."

"Why would you need to know about that? Is the school needing it?" Lincoln asked.

"No. I just wanted to know. I did hear that you've been more distant as of late and I was a little worried for my favorite student."

Lincoln smiled and blushed a little bit. Being called something like that always managed to get him to feel a little happy. He got to thinking about the other questions he was asked, finding that coming up with answers was a little hard at first but he eventually was able to think of some answers.

"How are things at home? Well they're alright. Nothing bad has happened except the occasional fight here and there. A few of my siblings have moved out but they come over every now and then, and Lori is staying in our home for a week with her baby! So everything is going pretty well with my family."

"Health issues by any chance?"

"Not... that I'm aware of. Although Lisa suggested that maybe I should see a therapist in case I feel not like myself."

"Do you not feel normal?" Mrs. Johnson concerningly asked.

"Lately? I just feel lonely. Most of my friends have moved out ever since Royal Woods became a city. Clyde and his parents moved to another state, same with Zach and his family. Rusty also moved but they're living off with their mom now. You know how marriages tend to... not work out?"

"First hand experience? Not much I can say but I assume it isn't... pleasant," Mrs. Johnson replied. "I recall your little sister liked Rusty's little brother. Rocky, wasn't it?"

"Correct you are. Lucy wasn't pleased about it either. Poor girl..."

Mrs. Johnson mentally sighed. It broke her heart to see a group of friends be separated just like that. It helped her understand Lincoln's feeling a bit easier that's for sure. But she wasn't surprised most of Lincoln's friends had moved away. This part of Royal Woods had only been reserved for the elite now, with those deemed part of a lower class being forced to live in the lower area of town. While people were not forced to leave their homes, it was better to do that than try and live with the large housing prices of this part of town. If Lisa didn't spearhead this new era of technology, the Louds might as well be living in the slums of Royal Woods as well.

"Anyone else to mention? What about Stella?"

"Stella was a bit different. She moved away but she could have stayed here in Royal Woods. However, she was accepted into this special school about robotics and technology that she had to move away to attend. I'm happy for her! Glad she's doing something that seems fun," Lincoln said, giving a soft sigh of sadness. Recalling all of this may not have been pleasant for him in the slightest.

"While they have moved away, is there anything stopping you from contacting them online? What is it that you kids use... Discard?" Mrs. Johnson asked, getting a chuckle out of Lincoln from the misnaming.

"It's Discord. But yeah I do. We all try our best to get together and talk, and it does help me feel better! But it doesn't exactly feel the same compared to meeting in person, you know?"

Mrs. Johnson could only reply with a slight nod, not fully getting it but getting enough.

"Do you have any other friends? I do recall your family being close to the Taylor family."

"That's an understatement," Lincoln replied with a chuckle. "Lynn is dating Chris, someone she's known ever since elementary school and Lana is also really good friends with his younger brother, Aaron! But he just goes by Ant. Lastly, I'm good friends with another of his brothers named James, but he prefers to go by Lio so that's what we call him."

"Lio? He sounds like he's already a part of the family with a name starting with L," Mrs. Johnson replied with a light hearted laugh. "Well it's great to have friends of the family. It helps you feel like you'll always have someone to rely on. But from what I've heard, someone might have to rely on you as well."

"Huh? What do you mean by..." Lincoln asked before realizing what Mrs. Johnson said. "Oh uh... You heard we took someone in?"

"Well your mother called and told me the news. Apparently you thought her acting as a hall monitor could help them understand their surroundings?"

"Oh well Venus actually thought the idea was interesting so... Why not? Could help her get to know other people!" Lincoln said, lying a bit at the end knowing Venus was most likely not the type to make any friends at all. "But we thought it could be a start compared to simply having her up in our home all day."

"That is a good point and I hope this Venus gal gets well soon. Losing memories is never an easy thing," Mrs. Johnson said before looking at her clock. "Oh! It's probably time you headed back to class. Unless, you'd rather go home?"

"Go home? I think I'll be good. It feels nice to get out of the house even if it's just one day that I'm coming here."

Mrs. Johnson nodded and turned the camera back on to signal that the talk was over. She got up and let Lincoln leave her office and waved goodbye to her favorite student.

"I'm glad we could talk. I know things have been rough with all the changes but something tells me you'll be able to make it. Lincoln," Mrs. Johnson told him, making him gain a small yet hopeful smile upon his face.

"Thanks Mrs. Johnson," Lincoln replied. He headed to the door and waved back at his once teacher. He headed out to the hallway and noticed that it was almost time for second period of school.. He took his phone out of his pocket and looked at the time...

"3... 2... 1..."

Right on time, the bell rang with everyone headed out to their next class, including Lincoln. He began walking towards one of the stairs before being stopped by a voice familiar to him.

"Lincoln! Wait up!" said a young male sounding voice.

"Long time no see, Linc," spoke a female sounding voice.

Lincoln turned around, quickly gaining a happy smile at who was talking to him, quickly walking over to say hi.

"Lio! Kat! It's good to see you again!"